[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 61 KB, 531x513, 1291910087947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2208752 No.2208752 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/ I got into an argument in /new/ and called lib/confags two dimensional philosophers. Afterwards I realised I was wrong and they would have to be 1 dimensional as it's just a line.
But then I got to thinking, maybe it is 2 dimensional since without the second dimension it would be impossible to measure the line and have two opposing sides as there would be no reference points. If that's wrong please correct me, I am not a genius.

Then I got to wondering if knowledge of the next dimension is necessary for measuring the previous dimension, is that the case?

Take time for example, as far as I know there is no way to measure it, every device we've created is arbitrary, just measuring themselves, or some recurring natural cycle (solar cycle, half-lifes ect.). The closest we get is an Indirect measurement, as an example, we could be falling into a black hole right now and would never notice time being slowed as our perception and instruments would be slowed as well.

Am I right so far? I don't want to continue speculation if I am wrong.

>> No.2208767

You seem to be thinking of a 2d plane and assuming that you need the y axis to determine where x is 0.

You don't.

Think about 3D coordinates. You don't need time to determine the origin.

>> No.2208773
File: 62 KB, 600x750, 633744583782331060-PHILOSORAPTOR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fucking Time, how does it work?!

>> No.2208784
File: 19 KB, 313x233, 1291897342161.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2208767
This is true, but how could you measure distance in the first dimension without referencing the second? maybe I just lack imagination, but it seems like it would run into the exact same problems as the 4th.

seemingly making the 1st and 4th unique

>> No.2208789
File: 652 KB, 1138x1024, getmecoffee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Liberals and Conservatives are not black and white to each other, Conservativism is based in traditional customs and culture, Liberalism is often opposed to this philosophy simply because the old ways are not often promoting freedom and equality, the true antithesis to Liberalism is Authoritarianism or in some cases Fascism. Conservativism is often the target of liberal politics because for the most part they are the dead weight liberals are forced to move every time they work for freedom and rights of the individual.

It is never the case where liberals and conservatives happen to be the only political belief systems someone can hold, It is possible to be Liberal while being many other things and visa versa, Your view that both seem to be some sort of narrow minded group almost seems born out of party politics. In truth, Most people do not understand politics enough to correctly define political ideologies, So in modern societies it is oft nothing more than a label.

>> No.2208797

>>2208789
I'm sorry I brought up what spurred my speculation.

Does no-one have an answer or is everyone ignoring me because I'm ignorant of some basic principle you're not willing to explain? If that's the case a simple "You're retarded, google [Something] would do.

>> No.2208825
File: 20 KB, 385x488, 1292380596587.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

maybe the second and third are really only sub-dimensions, or minor dimensions. We only really know of two Major-Dimensions, being the 1st and 4th!

>> No.2208864

>as there would be no reference points

You can have reference points on a line, so that's a non-issue.

>Take time for example

You seem to be equating time to spatial dimensions, and I'm not sure why.

>our perception and instruments would be slowed

This is incorrect. You would perceive time like you normally do (aside from the whole being dead from spaghettification part). It's outside observers that perceive you as slowing down.