[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 919 KB, 1648x1536, IMG_6993.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23330449 No.23330449 [Reply] [Original]

Stephen King was self publishing his short stories in magazines at age 12. I read a few of them and obviously they’re not amazing but they’re surprisingly good for a literal child

Is he an anomaly in terms of authors? His sheer output is insane

Even if you don’t like his work I feel like you gotta respect the grind. If his actual writing career didn’t launch with Carrie I feel like he still would have made it big within a few years with a different book regardless.

>> No.23330481

Would the caliber of his writing have been higher if he had not been so concerned with volume/output?

>Respect the grind
Yes

>> No.23330497

>>23330481
I honestly don’t think so. The best ways to get better at writing is to read a lot, and write a lot.

He clearly read a ton from a young age, and reads a lot to this day since he’s always getting review quotes on others books

The reason his works are so popular I think is down to his style and flair for ideas. I think writing so damn much made him figure out the best most enjoyable flow of reading for people to consume his work. It’s why even in “bad” Stephen king books people still enjoy the dialogue, characters, setting, flow etc

If he’d slowed his output and perhaps tried to focus solely on one book every couple years I doubt they’d actually be that much better than they would have been regardless. Most likely there’d just be less books, but they’d be much bigger projects like IT. Except IT was especially well suited to the length because of the two timelines. While the shining is 447 pages long and frankly is pretty shit at times when it tries to be spooky. The best parts are focusing on mental health, alcoholism, abuse etc

IT in comparison is 1138 pages. Imagine how god awful the shining would be if it was anywhere near close to that.

>> No.23330956

>>23330481
He did cocaine most his life, guy was writing fast as fuck.

>> No.23330970

>>23330449
He's an excellent short story writer, that's where he shines best, can't say the same for the novels (because I won't read 700-pages books about le spoopy car or whatever)

>> No.23331090

>>23330956
>>23330449
>respect the grind

He was probably taking cocaine as a 12 yo. Respek

>> No.23331113

>>23330449
Sure there are young kids who write for their school paper or whatever, I don't see how it's that surprising if you're on that sort of track. Zoomers probably don't do it as much because all they know is skibidi toilet and charge they phone.