[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 199 KB, 1224x551, IMG_20240328_145528.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23330346 No.23330346 [Reply] [Original]

Outsider men and prostitutes. Why is this such a recurring theme?
>Catcher in the Rye
>Notes from Underground
not books but
>Taxi Driver
>BR2049
I mean, we know the MCs are lonely but why have the need for a major scene where they visit a whore? Is it solely a male thing? Feel free to list any other examples/and or discuss.

>> No.23330402

>>23330346
I lost my virginity to a prostitute. I didn't know it beforehand hand but when she got to the hotel room it turned out she was the younger sister of a girl I knew in highschool. That made things weird but then she told me she was molested and that's why she's fucked up, very easy to guess but her telling me kind of fucked me up. We proceeded and it was that night that prompted a level of self reflection and personal growth I'd never had before.
I've lost my fear of women for one. But I also feel guilty because I participated in this girls sad state. Im planning in the future to contact her again and book a session just to give her free money and quickly say thank you, now take the night off. That's because I feel guilty and view her as a victim.

>> No.23330412

>>23330402
But I also fantasize that I can save her and bring her to a cozy bungalow somewhere warm where she can be at peace, because she said she hated the cold.

>> No.23330417

>>23330346
book I'm writing has main character visit one. main character is a male, but he visits it because of temptation/curiosity. about to go on a long voyage and worried would die without ever having sex. I felt the scene was needed because I have the character reflect on his religion a lot during the scene. he ends up so conflicted about what he's doing that he doesnt finish and just starts berating the girl about why she does what she does once he notices a Bible on her nightstand.

doesnt really answer your question much but maybe my example gives some kind of insight?

>> No.23330440

>>23330417
I don't have a lot of media literacy but sounds like it's part of his journey of self-exploration. How does the girl react? I've heard prosties irl hate it when the guy does this.

>> No.23330450

the lower you are on the totem poll as a homeless man or neet, the more you can only get laid with a hooker

>> No.23330453

>>23330440
she doesn't speak the same language, so is just scared/confused/upset she might not get the full amount of money.

>> No.23330707
File: 98 KB, 574x420, cringe-comp-cringe-shrek.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23330402
>Im planning in the future to contact her again and book a session just to give her free money and quickly say thank you

>> No.23331404

>>23330417
Strange, I've had nearly the exact same idea when I've entertained the idea of writing a novel, sometime in the future. I guess because it makes for quite an intriguing and vivid scene, where the protagonist can experience a major crisis or revelation.

>> No.23331465

>>23330346
Prostitution was the normal sexual outlet for men prior to marriage before the sexual revolution, and even more so before WW1 when the trend to female emancipation accelerated. After that men could date and have sex with women prior to marriage, and the ubiquity of prostitution in the male experience lessened as non-professionals filled the niche. See Aquinas and Augustine for the norm:
>[Aquinus] notes that the state should allow fornication and prostitution to exist for the sake of the common good. Relying on the well-known passage from Augustine's De ordine, Aquinas advocates tolerance of prostitution by noting: "Accordingly in human government also, those who are in authority rightly tolerate certain evils, lest certain goods be lost, or certain evils be incurred: thus Augustine says [De ordine 2.4]: 'If you do away with harlots, the world will be convulsed with lust.'" If these social practices were to be suppressed, the public reaction might be such as to threaten the peace of society.

>> No.23331494

>>23330346
Incels need to meet a woman to discover the full spectrum of what they’re searching for and reflect on their story. If they could get this from a woman above the station of prostitute or come to these insights by themselves, they wouldn’t be incels.

>> No.23332051

>>23331494
What does this have to do with those protagonists meeting a prostitute?