[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 116 KB, 640x642, Jane Austen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23330308 No.23330308 [Reply] [Original]

>When Austen was twenty, Tom Lefroy (the future Lord Chief Justice of Ireland), a neighbour, visited Steventon from December 1795 to January 1796. He had just finished a university degree and was moving to London for training as a barrister. Lefroy and Austen would have been introduced at a ball or other neighbourhood social gathering, and it is clear from Austen's letters to Cassandra that they spent considerable time together: "I am almost afraid to tell you how my Irish friend and I behaved. Imagine to yourself everything most profligate and shocking in the way of dancing and sitting down together."

>Austen wrote in her first surviving letter to her sister Cassandra that Lefroy was a "very gentlemanlike, good-looking, pleasant young man".[65] Five days later in another letter, Austen wrote that she expected an "offer" from her "friend" and that "I shall refuse him, however, unless he promises to give away his white coat", going on to write "I will confide myself in the future to Mr Tom Lefroy, for whom I don't give a sixpence" and refuse all others.[65] The next day, Austen wrote: "The day will come on which I flirt my last with Tom Lefroy and when you receive this it will be all over. My tears flow as I write at this melancholy idea".

Why are women like this, bros?

>> No.23330315

I don't get it. But then again I haven't been able to get that time a woman seemed to be flirting with me and then blocked me afterwards, either.

>> No.23331572

>>23330308
They get a rush of power and self-worth from rejecting a man, even if they actually like him. Rejecting a man is like the female equivalent of a man dreaming about winning physical battles.

>> No.23332532

>>23331572
SPBP!

>> No.23332543

>>23330308
Women's emotions are complicated. Many of them don't understand themselves at all. Why do you think so many of them are unhappy?

>>23331572
No. You're superimposing masculine ideals onto women, and I would have said so had you not made equivalencies.