[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.85 MB, 3024x4032, xxkyyrbezxe81.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2792283 No.2792283 [Reply] [Original]

>acquired a decent set of quality tools by now
>Even own a drill press
>barely get any use because appartement retard and there's no space for anything
What else can I do besides working on my bicycle, disassembling kitchen appliances for scrap metal and do the odd car fix on the fucking street because I don't have a garage either?
I can't move so I considered buying a small plot land and build a shack there but then I will get my tools stolen by a crackhead if I move it there, won't I?

>> No.2792288 [DELETED] 

>>2792283
your landlord or maintenance guys are gonna steal the tools from you anyway.

>> No.2792302

>>2792283
>I can't move

Ever or yet? I suggest doing what I did and do which also prepares you for the future. It's easy to optimize compact shop equipment that's highly mobile by putting your tools,equipment and supplies in/on apartment-friendly industrial plastic carts with non-marring casters and especially medical carts (which sell for thousands new but dirt cheap used) which have features like display arms, backup batteries and space for SFF computers.

>> No.2792331

>>2792302
>Ever or yet?
Not in the foreseeable future no.
>Corded
>Jigsaw x2
>Drill x2
>Angle grinder
>Drill press
>Circular saw

>Battery
>Drill
Besides the press I have every other tool in their original box, then a bunch tool boxes with hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, spanners, ratchets, etc. a cart will be another thing to occupy space.

>> No.2792363

>>2792283
Find an affordable 24/7 storage unit place nearby. I know a lot of tradies that live in small apartments but store all their tools in a storage unit. Most have electric outlets.

>> No.2792416

>>2792283
Why'd you spend all your money on tools you can't use instead of saving it to buy a house?

>> No.2793152

>>2792331
>Besides the press I have every other tool in their original box

What makes that the most compact efficient solution? Carts also provide useful top work space. Keeping everything in the original box is bizarre and hoardy.

> a bunch tool boxes with hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, spanners, ratchets, etc.

Little individual boxes or a suitably sized rollaway to consolidate them while making access most convenient? Efficient storage is a major effectiveness multiplier. Lots of boxes may or may not be efficient but tends to be overly bulky. OTHO job boxes are an efficient way to pack many tools into small space and when castered are easy to move.

>> No.2793201

Get a ford transit connect, about 19k last i checked for a good used model. Put your tools in there. Mobile tradesman. Go help a farmer/rancher who is also a builder if you have no applied knowledge.

> in original boxes

hmm. Yeah well a compact storage system of drawers you can build in, would be better for everyday.

Get the fuck out of apartment dwelling. That's the lowest tier slave situation. Cities are shit in the west in my opinion, so city+apartment is like lowest tier living, if it can be called living at all.

>> No.2793212

>>2792283
Maybe instead of buying "quality tools" you should have saved up on a down payment for a house.

>> No.2793760

>>2793212
This. It's easy not to live in cities and move where you can own things and land and retire one day. Your working life is short so either lead a comprehensively planned life devoid of stupid acts, or live then die poor when you can no longer work.

>> No.2793924

>>2792283
Get into electronics, that was 90% of what I did while I was an apartmentfag.

>> No.2793933

>>2793760
Even if you live in a city. Every day I kick myself in the ass for renting for so many years. Rents are always going up, bite the bullet and try to buy an apartment/condo if you’re planning to stay there for more than a couple years. Hell, even if you do move and it’s too early to sell, rent that shit out or AirBnB and you can be the handyman landlord with all your fancy tools. Paying the mortgage after buying in a high market sort of sucks, but not as much as paying the rent. And I got to see my credit score drop a shit ton and then slowly creep up a point or three as I’m paying on time.

>> No.2794223

>>2793201
>Get a ford transit connect
>Put your tools in there.
To get it stolen and lose everything?

>>2793212
>Few grand worth of tools? Should have bought a house!!!1!

>> No.2795547

>>2794223
>To get it stolen and lose everything?

Store tools discreetly in a locking box bolted to the floor and painted/decorated to look like "not a toolbox".

Immobilizing is easy. We pulled fuses in our shop wrecker so while thieves cracked the column switch it did no good.

Paging alarms are a thing and you could even add an electrically fired can of bear mace or an orange (to not b mistaken for fire) smoke grenade in an enclosure of your choice. Use a grounding safety pin (or switch) to positively prevent unwanted ignition (works for combat aircraft)

>> No.2795775

just use the tools to build a house. EZ GAME.

>> No.2795815

>>2793924
I used to live in an RV much smaller than an apartment, so yeah electronics is the only hobby I could actually do besides jerk off.

>> No.2795889

>>2792283
>What else can I do besides working on my bicycle,
HOW THE HELL WOULD WE KNOW RETARD!