[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 173 KB, 700x670, buddha.head.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4549193 No.4549193 [Reply] [Original]

I've been studying Buddhism and meditating for a few months and a couple weeks ago I think I had some sort of breakthrough about the ego and life as a function of our minds. Now I very often feel kind of like 'out of body'. Not to a huge extent but just like I feel like my actions aren't really mine and I don't have any control over them. It's like I'm just 'happening' and I'm watching myself happen. I get this feeling so frequently now and it is freaking me the shit out. It' not a particularly happy or blissful feeling, it just freaks me out for the most part.

can anyone relate to this or know what to do?

>> No.4549202

Yea, it's called teen angst and the 2deep4u syndrome.

>> No.4549211

I don't think a Buddhist would think it's a good thing to be "out of body" as you describe it. I think they'd say you should be more connect than anything.

>> No.4549217

>>4549211
yeah but how?

>> No.4549219

the body is controlled by the brain and you're just a method of memory and sensory comprehension. Congratulations for realizing it. It's not like animals without a big fat brain are incapable of moving.

>> No.4549223

>>4549219

now for me to figure out if this was written by me, my brain, or some sort of collaboration effort.

>> No.4549230

>>4549219
>>4549223
who thinks your thoughts? who are you really?

>> No.4549237

>>4549193

>Now I very often feel kind of like 'out of body'. Not to a huge extent but just like I feel like my actions aren't really mine and I don't have any control over them

Don't worry, it'll pass.

>> No.4549240

you mean depersonalization/derealization? it's actually a common "symptom" of meditation

so you're probably doing something right

>> No.4549248

>>4549230
the left side of the brain does the logic thinking. turn that off and no more thinking logic thinking for you

>> No.4549259

I've felt what you feel b4. You feel like you aren't in control of what you do, yea? It's probably b/c you aren't. It doesn't occur to many people how much we do out of habit ~ that we don't think about or don't consciously decide. Like brushing you're teeth in the morning, its a daily routine that I bet you tend to do the same way everyday without thinking about it. So the big question is, if aren't controlling these actions, who is? :P (I'm not talking paranormal shit, I mean like in terms of marketing and conditioning by companies and society) Start observing some of these things you feel you aren't in control of, and actively take control of it :) See what happens. Btw, I don't mean to say anything good will happen, b/c thats completely relative, but hey - its better than having no say at all right? Food for thought.

>> No.4549282
File: 19 KB, 200x233, AlanWatts..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4549193
>Begins to abandon the illusion of the self
>Still wants to possess the self

>> No.4549335

>>4549193
Have you tried doing drugs?