[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 87 KB, 1024x768, Earth from the Moon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3981945 No.3981945 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, I have some quick questions.

-In terms of time (ie how many hours worth) how much breathable air can a space suit with a PLSS carry?
-Are these suits bulletproof? My research indicates that they are heavily insulated ans specially designed to avoid breakage, but can they stop bullets?
-How strong are the glass(?) panes on the helmets? Are these bulletproof?
-If broken (ie torn, broken, leakage occurs) will the wearer undergo explosive decompression?
-How well do conventional firearms (ie pistols, rifles) work in space?
-Do the answers to the above questions change if on the moon, as opposed to in space?

Many thanks, /sci/entists.

>> No.3981959

To those interested, I've found that the air supply lasts roughly 8 hours with current tech, but I have another question.

-How do the radios in the suits work? Is there a button somewhere on he suit to broadcast, or are you always broadcasting and recieving simultaneously?

>> No.3981965

Bump for space knowledge.

>> No.3981967

I went to a presentation done by an astronaut recently, and that was one of the questions someone asked. Actually, the suits have a filtration system, and their longevity is moreso dependant on the batteries in the suit rather than the air supply. Also, it's hot as hell in those things, and the astronaut has only got so much water on hand.

And yeah, about 8 hours.

>> No.3981978

>Are these suits bulletproof?
Spacesuits have to deal with micrometeoroids traveling at over 20,000km/h. So probably. same for the helmet glass.

>How well do conventional firearms (ie pistols, rifles) work in space?
Don't guns need air to fire? Might be wrong.

>Do the answers to the above questions change if on the moon, as opposed to in space?
The fuck? There'd be no difference, as the moon has basically no atmosphere.

>> No.3981980

-In terms of time (ie how many hours worth) how much breathable air can a space suit with a PLSS carry?
>8 IIRC
-Are these suits bulletproof? My research indicates that they are heavily insulated ans specially designed to avoid breakage, but can they stop bullets?
>I would highly doubt it, possibly 22LR, but that would be about it
-How strong are the glass(?) panes on the helmets? Are these bulletproof?
>Again doubt it, 22LR at most
-If broken (ie torn, broken, leakage occurs) will the wearer undergo explosive decompression?
>Sort of. It isn't really "explosive" though
-How well do conventional firearms (ie pistols, rifles) work in space?
>Perfectly
-Do the answers to the above questions change if on the moon, as opposed to in space?
>Not much

>> No.3981994

>>3981980
>How well do conventional firearms (ie pistols, rifles) work in space?
>Perfectly

not so fast. The lubricants of automatic or semiautomatic weapons can freeze if you're not in direct sunlight, your best bet is a revolver. Similarly the metallurgy of some firearms isn't set up for the harsh warming and cooling of open space. Chemically there is noting to prevent firearm operation though.

>> No.3981999

>>3981945
Why would you want to shoot an astronaut?

>> No.3982000

>>3981980

Thanks. Any idea on my radio operation question? Ta.

>> No.3982006

>>3981999

He kidnapped my family and took them to space where I intend to hunt him down and have an epic final showdown on the moon. Wondering if my gun'll work there.

>> No.3982106

>>3981978
>The fuck? There'd be no difference, as the moon has basically no atmosphere.
That's not entirely fair, there *are* differences in conditions between the moon and space.

>> No.3982161

>>3982106

Well, for a start, gravity.

>> No.3982167

>>3982161
Gravity doesn't influence the strength of helmet visors and firearms (well, besides the distance.)

>> No.3982172

Space suits would definitely weaken the force of the shot, I imagine if you had the money getting a spacesuit with a layer of kevlar ballistic fibre and maybe some hard plates made would be possible. And all modern propellants contain the oxidiser so they can fire in space but may be subject to a lot more wear and tear due to rapid heating and cooling.

>> No.3982180

>>3981945

>-If broken (ie torn, broken, leakage occurs) will the wearer undergo explosive decompression?

No, nor would they freeze. They will black out and when the air runs out.

>> No.3982928
File: 466 KB, 180x120, CSB.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3982006