[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 48 KB, 800x600, 800px-Nautilus_profile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1788666 No.1788666 [Reply] [Original]

Not sure if there is a language board, but this has something to do with units, so I'll ask here.
I'm an American, and it fucking pisses me off. Worse yet, I am plagued by growing up speaking American English, which might as well be called Shit. Also, I have been raised to use the Imperial System, which is also complete shit. How do I condition myself to speak English properly, and to use correct units?

>> No.1788682

>Use proper English and SI units in everyday life
>PROFIT
No ???? in this one, pretty clear cut.

>> No.1788697

Apart from moving to somewhere where thy speak both English and use the SI, like the Netherlands *hint hint*, just force the SI on yourself. Write only in SI. Hang post-its around with SI! on them.

I've been raised with SI, so I can't really help you.

>> No.1788698

So you want to have a british accent so you can sound smarter? You are what is wrong with smart people.

>> No.1788704

>>1788698
I never said that you dumb fuck. I said I want to learn to speak proper English, and not this butchered American crap. I'm guessing you are 10 if you think that people who speak in British accents are instantly smart or something.

>> No.1788708

>>1788697
Too bad most Dutch people have the most horrific accent when speaking English.

>> No.1788734

>>1788704
Why is American English shit? If you don't speak ebonics or some shit like that and use language we've all agreed upon conversation is not difficult. You can even throw in a big word once in awhile if you're feeling adventurous.

>> No.1788746

>>1788734
Confirmed for 10. It's because American English incorporates all kinds of slang into it, mispronounces words, and does other things that are very incorrect.

>> No.1788749

Why not just teach yourself proper English grammar and vocabulary and the metric system?

Why is being an even moderate autodidact such an estranged idea to the mind of the dullard?

>> No.1788756

>>1788666

Just learn both systems, and make sure you get a grasp of how sizes feel in the metric system, eg. michael jordan is about 2 meters big and 30cm are roughly a foot and the standard size of long ruler in europe.

And if you learn british english make sure you don't sound like a douche when talking to other americans.
this is comming from an european btw.

>> No.1788774

Come live in surrey with me, people here talk the queens english...AKA: English.
And we use the metric system, 1, 10, 100, 1000.
WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE USE ANYTHING DIFFERENT?

>> No.1788777

>>1788746
I wasn't the person you were replying to before but if you want to assume I'm 10 anyway go ahead. Just pick up an English book and learn some grammar or something. What kind of question is "How do I learn English" anyway?

>> No.1788779

>>1788756
I don't necessarily want a British accent, I just want to learn proper English. Also, thanks for the tips. Hopefully, I soon be speaking as a member of the international community instead of just an American. I hope my American grammar and accent hasn't affected my German and Russian, however.

>> No.1788786

>>1788779
wow

>> No.1788802

>>1788779
You're a pretentious little one aren't ya?

>> No.1788806

could you imagine if some right wingers saw this? there'd be a whole lotta "unamerican" thrown around here.

>> No.1788807

>>1788802

Explain how he is pretentious?

>> No.1788810

>>1788802
How am I being pretentious?

>> No.1788816

TRY SPEAKING AMERICAN ITS THE ONLY LANGUAGE I UNDERSTAND

>> No.1788820

>>1788807
I wish to speak the king's English so I can exert my dominance over the common Amercian. Let them quiver in fear at my knowledge of SI units and "proper English."

Huzzah!

>> No.1788821

You do realize that American english is pretty much the same thing everyone else learns, right?

>> No.1788829

>>1788820

I find the illiteracy in America and the lack of metric system usage very alarming. In fact, it is moronic to not have a strong understanding of the metric system.

>> No.1788831

>>1788820
I want to learn it because British English is the international form of English and the SI system is the international measurement system. I am going into a scientific field, therefore I need it.

I don't want to learn it to act like a dick, I need it. Stupid cunt.

>> No.1788836
File: 37 KB, 500x462, bdk_str.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1788829

I forgot to add that these people and the south attribute to most of the illiteracy within our culture.

>> No.1788839

the american accent is actually more closely related to the traditional english accent. The british accent was a fad that started in Britain among the elite class, and it became popular as a sign of class and wealth.

>> No.1788847

>>1788821
Yeah, but American English has too much slang, I think. I don't know. Maybe I don't need to learn British English, but I need to learn SI.

>> No.1788849

>>1788666
Shock yourself in the balls every time you think in feet or Fahrenheit or another one of your bullshit units.

Give yourself a mars bar when you spell things "-isation" instead of "-ization"

>> No.1788853

>>1788829
I'd have to agree with you on SI units but we're not talking about illiteracy here. OP wants to learn proper English to appear to be better than other Americans who apparently speak nothing but shit.

>> No.1788855
File: 17 KB, 300x308, 20090902-Ivan_Pavlov[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1788849

>> No.1788854

>>1788829

>In fact, it is moronic to not have a strong understanding of the metric system.

The metric system is piss easy to learn you could learn it well enough for everyday usage in about 10 minutes.

>> No.1788860

>>1788853

Many Americans do speak nothing but shit.

See this : >>1788836

He may even have a disgusting Southern accent.

>> No.1788862

>>1788853
Again, not learning it to act like an elitist dick. I want to learn it so I am not chastisised by the international community.

>> No.1788867

I awlays find it funny when people try to insult america over not using the metric system, even though everybody uses the metric system when it comes to science here, I mean god damn, do europeans REALLY think we do science using shit like feet, or what?

>> No.1788872

>>1788853
Being well spoken is a big advantage in the job market, doesnt mean he wants to seem better, just means he wants to remove and impediment to his progress

>> No.1788882

>>1788849
>Give yourself a mars bar when you spell things "-isation" instead of "-ization"

Well, that solves the problem of him having straight, white, properly formed teeth and not being obese.

Now we just need to get him ot horribly mangle his Ers and Ars, and stop using contractions.
Also, lets see if wh can't fit in a silent U in words like "colour" and "armour".

Additionally, you should surround yourself with CCTV cameras at all times and do half your expected payload at work so you can take two additional tea breaks.

>> No.1788889

>>1788862
Well then I misunderstood. My deepest apologies for being a "stupid cunt" (implying that's not some stupid shit a dumb American would say).

>> No.1788895
File: 58 KB, 468x507, 1282782329167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Actually, the Texan version of English is commonly regarded as the closest to high class English pronounciation outside the U.K.. Just use Hollywood pronounciation and idioms like the rest of the world and don't sweat it.

No dialect or language is "incorrect." If you can get the point across and obey the basic, commonly accepted rules, or at least violate them as infrequently as possible to enable basic communication, then you're fine. Take the debate about the Oxford comma, for instance. The rule is arbitrary (except for a few special cases). Same with using "his" or "their" as a generic singular possessive pronoun. There's no right answer... you should just use whatever the people around you are using.

Imperial system though... yeah.... Basically you're fucked. You'll never get an intuitive understanding of metric in the same way that you have imperial. Can't hurt to learn metric, though.

>> No.1788899

>>1788889
Sorry to tell you this, ol' chap, but cunt is a perjorative coined on the other side of the pond, and used far more frequently.

Americans, by and large, find the term to be distasteful.

>> No.1788900

>>1788867
Um... didn't the Mars Polar Lander crash because a NASA engineer used feet instead of meters?

>> No.1788929
File: 242 KB, 1280x960, r382162_1781457.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1788895

HOLY FUCK look at those things.

this is now a jellyfish thread.

>> No.1788931

No one knows anything about linguistics here, this is just like the evolution threads where three people know what they're talking about. There is no dialect that is better than any other.

Take ebonics, which people often hate on. It is a slight variant on other English dialects with very minor, slightly differing rules. For example, "it" is used as a dummy subject in some sentences. "It's no god" = "there's no god" in other dialects where "there" is the dummy word. You fucking dummy. There is nothing notably more or less complex or stupid about ebonics grammar.

Studies that have recorded conversations of ebonics-speakers versus american english speakers show just as many (few) mistakes in grammar according to their dialect. Actually, there are more mistakes coming from middle-class white people, and the most mistakes come from academics in conferences. This attitude about certain dialects is the only imperial thing I can see in this thread.

>> No.1788938

>>1788900
Mistakes can be made in anything.

Regardless, Ameicans generally use metric units for most scientific and medical work.

Imperial units are only used coloquially, and EVERY American knows metric, simply because every package in the country has both imperial and metric measurements on them.

>> No.1788956

>>1788666

remember that the correct plural of octopus and platypus are octopodes and platypodes.

>> No.1789021

Super fast Jellyfish mofos great song by the gorillaz. Stop eating fish we are destroying the ocean.

>> No.1789142
File: 585 KB, 276x252, butipoopfromthere.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why the hate for the South, /sci/?
Are we really viewed as such a cyst on the American image?
We're not all bad, though I will admit that I have met some who justify every stereotype that is commonly associated with the South.

>> No.1789174

>>1788931
>This attitude about certain dialects is the only imperial thing I can see in this thread.
Hah, punny guy.

I agree though. The right langue to use is the language that the environment will understand. I'm white and I understand ebonics perfectly fine (the grammar anyway, not the pronunciation), and blacks understand me perfectly fine. We now have diversity so our ideas can have sex.

>> No.1789185

>>1789142
We liberal Yankees really do look down on you guys. I lived in Tennessee so I know you make up for it with good old fashioned family values and comradery and generosity, but you have like two good schools, no good cities, and you regularly pull shit like banning gays from prom or bashing evolution. We know you're not ALL like that, but, you know, we're going to keep making fun of you until you clean up your back yard.

>> No.1789225

>>1789185
As a relatively liberal Southerner, I know what you are talking about. The ignorance that some sport around here is just god-awful. You can't imagine the flask that I get from being both agnostic and liberal.

>> No.1789230
File: 1.47 MB, 1580x1068, caterpillar meeting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1788938
My experience differs. When I moved to America and people asked how tall I was, a response given in centimeters garnered only blank stares. I had to learn feet/inches. Shopping for groceries, meat was always in pounds and not kilograms (though a few places had kilograms). Cars generally don't have speedometers in km/h, and you buy your gas and milk in gallons. So I don't think that Americans in general understand metric. Certainly at school we used metric... mostly. But the number of science students is a very small fraction of the population.

At least a pint is still a pint, wherever you are. :)

>> No.1789240

OP is definitely an American, as an American myself I can easily identify his stupidity.

First in not understanding how to make a habit of using SI

Second in thinking that American English is something you can consciously unlearn, it's a fucking dialect.

>> No.1789241

>>1789225
A wild Christian appears!

It uses "tell the neighbors you hate god."

It's super-effective! Liberal agnostic is ostracized.

>> No.1789248

>>1789241
That was actually pretty good.
I should refine what I said that us yankees look down on the redneck stereotype. Any liberal worth a damn will know that most southerners are ultimately moderate.

>> No.1789252

On a related note NASA officially uses american units and no longer metrics. Fucking sucks how useless NASA is now. They are out of contract now and we get to wait for corporate fucks to do everything