[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 367 KB, 585x614, The most advanced research and powerful science foundation in history.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16168337 No.16168337[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Good Night /Sci/entists!

A long time ago, there was a language called "Purdue Instructional Language for Operating systems and Translators" (PILOT).

I have found only one book about this language. It is called "A Labratory Manual for Compiler and Operating System Implementation" by Maurice Halstead, which is about making PILOT for a Univac 1108. The book is short and light on details.

I would like to see more examples of this language, so I can understand it better. However, my attempts to find the examples have all failed. No luck with search engines, or the Purdue website.

Unfortunately, there is an unrelated language called PILOT from the same time period where the acronym means "Programmed Inquiry, Learning, or Teaching" which kind of obscures the search.

If you know where to get more resources on PILOT, or PILOT example code, please tell me.

If you are a maid who works at, or attends Purdue, please look in their libraey archives for references to the language.

Please also post about advanced Mathematics and Computer Science research you find interesting.

Thank you /Sci/entists for reading my post.

>> No.16168727
File: 52 KB, 500x507, A polite request for information.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16168337
>If you know where to get more resources on PILOT, or PILOT example code, please tell me.
>If you are a maid who works at, or attends Purdue, please look in their libraey archives for references to the language.
>Please also post about advanced Mathematics and Computer Science research you find interesting.

>> No.16168729

>>16168337
So What? You're making a robot "maid" wife? Kindof gives me the ick.

>> No.16168744

>>16168337
Didn't found so much about it but what makes this language even interesting?

>> No.16168760

>>16168337
Oh I thought this said paid research. Didn't see any pay, reread and saw it's maid research. Dammit!

>> No.16168805
File: 1.22 MB, 1191x1684, Zuikaku1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16168729
Working on an assembler for MAIDS (Meta Assembly Instruction Definition System).

MAIDS takes code written in MAIDS (Meta Assembly Instruction Definition Syntax) and makes machine code. It also performs memory safety checks, so the compiler doesn't have to because if you write code which isn't memory safe, MAIDS won't assemble it.

Now when you make a compiler, you use MAIDS as a compilation target. If MAIDS can assemble the MAIDS code your compiler generated, then your program is memory safe.

With this design of moving memory safety checks to the assembler rather than the compiler, you can make a system where all compilers basically get memory safety for free, by virtue of compiling to MAIDS.

So now, you are a maid who wants to make a C-like compiler for example. So you write your compiler and it generates MAIDS code and now you have C-Like for MAIDS. C-Like for MAIDS compiles to MAIDS, and then you assemble it with MAIDS for RISC-V or MAIDS for x86 or whatever you need, so long as a MAIDS implementation exists for it, and you get memory safe machine code that runs on whatever you chose.

>>16168744
PILOT was designed to be a minimal systems language for old computers. You can make compilers/assemblers/operating systems with it. I got a lot of ideas for MAIDS by reading about PILOT and if I can see a lot of PILOT example code it might cause more ideas and make MAIDS better.

>>16168760
I don't have any money. My Science Foundation doesn't get grants or anything like this. This is fine though, because computers, pens, and paper are all cheap and abundant. If you are approximately forty or older, there is a good chance that you own a personal computer which is more powerful, possibly by orders of magnitude, than Super Computers which were, during your own living memory, considered capable of nearly miraculous things.

Part of the purpose of my life is to remind people they have Super Computers and ask them, please use it to compute something.