[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 147 KB, 1080x1291, ac0029b9e43f9b351df9fce59af1f234e40b1d2defe2417969b52860891632d8_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16168313 No.16168313 [Reply] [Original]

>Physics undergrad 1 semester away from graduation
> Can only manage to get 2 recommendation letters because I skipped most classes and didn't network
>Unfocused electives ranging from nuclear fusion to complex systems
>Shit at quantum mechanics
>Only good at thermo and relativity
>Try to save academic hopes and dreams by enrolling in summer school to make up for lost time
>Don't know how to code for shit

Ist es over? I didn't even take any electives on high energy physics so perhaps I should just face it and become a neet, I'd rather be dead than become an experimentalist at this point (or go solid state physics).
Hopefully summer school gives me an in, something that is easy to get into knowing thermo and some GR.

>> No.16168339

you sure do seem to like talking about yourself on social media

>> No.16168357

>>16168339
sure do, but I do wonder what kind of script counts instances of "I" and automates a response. Or are you really that bored and reply with that to most posts that do that?

>> No.16169372

>>16168313
You have very slim chances of making it as a career physicist, unless you go to some new university in the third world where they have no local talent to recruit for. Say, in some chinese province.
Solid state is nice tho, as long as its focused on microchips. Get the background that would land you a job at ASML

>> No.16169396

Go do a M.Sc. in Europe. I assume you are American?

>> No.16169445

>>16169372
>Very slim chances
I had hoped I was just exaggerating my hopelessness. Maybe I could still do cosmology? If I use my last two electives to prioritize the two things I'm already good at then perhaps not all hope is lost.
>Get you a background that would land you a job at ASML
The main thing going for me is knowing statistical mechanics beyond what's expected for an undergrad, so even if I'm shit at quantum mechanics, if God/ a coworker/ boss gives me the energy level distribution then I can work out most macroscopic quantities.
I hope that's good enough for solid state stuff, like graphene. Or maybe even material science, like glass stuffs.

I also enrolled in a research project on quantum optics (which masterfully combines two of the things I'm not known for being good at), so my qmech knowledge will get better, I hope.

>>16169396
I'm mexican and study at UNAM, which is pretty okay I think (the 3+1 GR formalism guy graduated from here). I can't do an M.Sc in europe, but I could get in via any exchange program in grad school, is that good enough?

>> No.16169931

bumpin