[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 17 KB, 206x245, snake oil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16168219 No.16168219 [Reply] [Original]

How do you deal with pseudoscientific bullshit?
I'm not even one to tip my fedora about religion, but I think i've realized how the rejection of scientific fact is a serious threat to society

>mom may or may not have cancer
>starts watching a bunch of crackpot natural health youtubers
>"Germ theory is wrong, our bodies are designed to heal themselves if we just eat healthy"
>"We're supposed to live 150 years like the bible says, it's just that we eat processed foods that make us sick"
>"they want me to do a few tests, but i think i just need to do a parasite detox and get some more vitamin D (the sun doesn't cause caner BTW)"
>"ya know, you should really get rid of the wifi, that radiation is dangerous"
>"chemo doesn't even work for 90% of cancer patients"

I understand the issues with the food and drug industries, but it's getting to the point where legitimate harm is being done. You're not going to cure cancer by drinking carrot juice.
What is there to do? She was never like this, she used to be a fucking normal person, but 2020 really fucking destroyed an entire generation of boomers. "Q said the vaccine is science, and the vaccine is bad so science is bad! CHRIST IS KING"

>> No.16168789

>>16168219
By making my own heavy metal preparations.

>> No.16168808

You liberal faggots promoted postmodernism so this is the nigger world you get. Talk to your mom about autophagy though

>> No.16168818

>>16168219
>She was never like this, she used to be a fucking normal person
Have you considered that maybe she's acting strange because she's scared she might fucking die and can't do anything about it

>> No.16168829

>>16168219
Why does ""Snake Oil"" get such a bad rap. You can literally drink snake venom to cure certain diseases.

>> No.16168841

>>16168219
>You're not going to cure cancer by drinking carrot juice.
Not with that attitude, you won't.

>> No.16168852

>>16168219
>>"ya know, you should really get rid of the wifi, that radiation is dangerous"
Not really pseudoscience. Even the WHO puts EMF radiation in the 'possibly carcinogenic' category, meaning a risk cannot be conclusively ruled out

>> No.16168956

>>16168829
From memory, the story goes that Chinese railway laborers who came to the US used oil from some specific Chinese snake because it allegedly had real medicinal applications in alleviating joint pain.
However some time down the line conmen caught on and started selling oil from random ass American snakes (with no known health benefits) as a miracle cure to gullible citizens. Hence the term

>> No.16168959

>>16168219
>What is there to do?
It's a super hard process, I'm dealing with something similar with my grandfather.
The problem is that you can't be to forceful or they'll close off (there once was a study where people who were shown evidence refuting some belief they had, started believing it even more as a result) but also you as a family member are probably one of the few people who even has a chance at reaching her

>> No.16169068

>>16168219
You're mom sounds like a typical low IQ white trash Karen, so I wouldn't worry about her anyone. The more Darwin Awards these disease ridden anti-science hick receive, the better. Their purifying the human gene pool of the retards and the schizos. Conspiracy theorists and anti-science types have no place in the modern world, and they're a threat not just to themselves, but to society as a whole. Hopefully the cancer takes her out before she has the chance to spread COVID to someone who is old or immunocompromised.

>> No.16169081

>>16168219
Fuck I could write a fucking essay on this topic. But I will make it short as possible.
The huge energy surplus which followed the exploitation of fossil fuels gave rise to an astonishingly wealthy society which required technically skilled workers. As a result we got mass education that exposed the overwhelming majority of the population to science in a society where mass communication was now possible. However the majority of the population is fucking stupid. Approximately 70% have an IQ under 110.( Protip: 110 IQ still means you are stupid ) Essentially being exposed to science meant that that all these stupid people were able to think of even stupider things other than just dreaming up things like witchcraft, fairies, and vampires. Hence the rise of pseudoscience.

How to deal with it? Mockery. Never disagree. Disagreeing just makes them angry because they can't into logic and facts. You cant educate them because they are stupid. Just mock them. They are so stupid they will never realize it. They say "Flat Earth" and you say "Cylinder Sun" They say "Homeotherapy" and you say "Only if the dicks touch".
Otherwise just figure out ways to exploit these dumb sheep for your own profit. Everyone else does. Sell them the modern equivalent of snake oil. Look around and you will find much of ordinary day commerce is doing exactly that. All of politics is exactly that too.
As a threat? Sure, but there is jack shit you can do that wont get you labelled as a terrorist, Nazi, fascist, elitist, or psychopath. Just pad your nest as best you can and play the fiddle while watching the world burn down to its natural feudal state. Perhaps your far descendants will hear the stories of man on the moon and ignore those who say they are myths meant to entertain children.

>> No.16169126
File: 164 KB, 1200x836, conspiratard conservative.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16169081
This. These types of people are too stupid to understand science or technology, nor do they want to, because it completely contradicts their entire belief system and worldview. Conspiracy theorists and anti-science types will never accept science and they will never acknowledge basic scientific facts that challenge their views. They just want to live in their Tucker Carlson/Alex Jones/Elon Musk echo chamber and deny the last 400 years of scientific progress. Mentally and ideologically, these people are still in the dark ages. Any scientific data or evidence present them will just be dismissed as "woke" propaganda or some other right wing buzzword.

>> No.16169160

>>16168219

Humility, patience, seeing people as people and not the ideological enemy

>>16169081

Is stupidity an inherent trait of approximately 70% of humans or is it relative to sociological, economic and technological forces of which you stand within the winning 30% of people who are deemed not to be stupid?

Before all that technological complexity, what did intelligent people do? Did they make 70% of people stupid... and stupider?

>> No.16169173

>>16169126
Physically speaking, those two protesters are in exactly the same position but the one on the right got their first. They are equals. The one on the left just took longer to say FTS. It's funny how the only social leverage the one on the left has is to threaten the powers that be that they will be in the exact same position as their ideological opposites.

>> No.16169228

>>16169173
>The one on the left just took longer to say FTS. It's funny how the only social leverage the one on the left has is to threaten the powers that be that they will be in the exact same position as their ideological opposites.

Pure schizobabble.

>> No.16169238

>>16169160
Its an innate trait of cognitive ability. Reason. Planning ahead. Critical thinking. The ability to make conjectures, to create a hypothesis and test it, draw conclusions, consult with others and verify. Its not the sum of factual knowledge one may possess or have access but rather the ability to use it with the mental tools one has. A leverage to open new discoveries of knowledge.

The 70% is not a hard cut off, of course its approximate and contains a small degree of fuzziness affected both ways by other factors unrelated to academic intelligence, such as work ethics, motivation and cultural climate. However it is a safe observation that the overwhelming majority of the population do not have the traits I described above. Of those a significant proportion will have strong susceptibility to pseudoscience, which is enabled by exposure to science through the education system but without gaining an innate understanding of its principles. Many of them can parrot some science, but they lack an understanding of how its works. Some aren't even into pseudoscience and may indeed follow a regular science career. I mean really dude, haven't you come across this type before? Book smart idiots. The universities are full of them.

>> No.16169319 [DELETED] 

>>16169126
Why should I trust science over Elon Musk?

>> No.16169321

>>16169126
Why should I trust science more than Elon Musk?

>> No.16169359

>>16168829
>snake venom
I think "snake oil" referred to the liquid that forms between the old and new layers of scales when snakes molt.

>> No.16169403

>>16168808
>Talk to your mom about autophagy though
hyperthermia and oncothermia seem like better bets imo
fasting is more of a preventive mesure

>> No.16169625

>>16168219
Why are some people desperately unable to see these as scams.

>>16168789
I huff welding fumes

>> No.16169655

>>16168219
Don't give it attention.

>> No.16170946

>>16168219
Your mom sounds like a stupid whore

>> No.16171584
File: 97 KB, 512x259, unnamed (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16168219
>>"We're supposed to live 150 years
There aren't many lifespans of women. If you challenge this more directly she'll study it and be healed or at least consoled.

>> No.16171604

>>16168219
Turns out dumbfucks die no matter what. A hundred years ago we thought maybe they could be enriched by building libraries and giving them an internet but it's time to stop pretending now.

>> No.16171615

>>16168852
There is a big difference between "That radiation is dangerous" and "Studies have not been able to find any harmful effects from EMF radiation but it also can't be conclusively ruled out"