[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 191 KB, 874x1766, screw that.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2792653 No.2792653 [Reply] [Original]

The previous owner of this house apparently either did not know shit or hired people who did not know shit to do shit in his house.

>Install 1/2" cement backer board in shower surround and on the floor with 1" drywall screws
>No sealing the corners of the surround backer
>Self-installed the shittiest vinyl sliding window without tempered glass in the alcove using common nails for the flashing (rust streaks on the siding now)
>Zero attention to blocking water ingress around the window inside (there is a window by the tub alcove) - no caulk anywhere
>Zero attention to blocking water ingress around the mixer valves or tub spout rough-ins - no caulk anywhere
>No caulk around the grab handle mounting
>Did not extend the toilet flange to account for the tile and instead used two wax rings
>For some stupid reason took out the crippling under the bath wall (sits on a bearing wall) and so of course the resulting water damage for all their other stupid shit made all the floorboards warp away from the unsupported wall above and the wall itself sagged in the middle.

It's that last one that got my panties in a real bunch.

Then like the good white folk they were they boxed it all in with drywall and fucked off for a couple of decades before having the cast-iron American Standard tub spray finished and then selling their shit-dripping, wall-weeping, 10-inch-fucking-stub-outs-sticking-out-of-the-wall mess off to me instead of investing the money in fixing it.

The tiling floor/walls was fair and held up until the rusty heads on the drywall screws started to pop tiles in the shower around the tub.

Pic related is my phase 1 ghetto repair. Measured at the studs I went from 5/8" at the worst part of the dip to 3/16", a 1/2" dip is under 1/8", and 1/4" gaps are all gone now. I can now sheathe my floor in peace knowing that I have in some small way helped make the world a better place.

Thank you for reading my blog post. You can now return to your regularly scheduled fapping.

>> No.2792668

>>2792653
> on behalf of white people everywhere I apologize.

Did you know that the white is a made-up phenomena? People are Hungarian or Irish or polish etc. - there's no white. So you have to be more specific about the nationality, so we can make fun of them better.

As for your repairs, please illuminate us, on how you did not have it properly inspected, before purchasing the property. if you purchased it properly, acquiring the property by paying the unpaid property taxes, instead of waiting for it to go retail and list like any other maroon, then if this is the only problem, I'd say you have it made.

>> No.2792675
File: 1.66 MB, 2373x1788, iwillpoophere.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2792668
Generic whitefolk. I don't care where their ancestors fornicated.

The damage was concealed behind poorly installed drywall. The dip in the floor is (was) behind and under the vanity, the inspector could not have seen it. The cement board that was on the floor seems to have bridged the valley for the tile, so to speak.

In general the house was patched up convincingly enough on the surface. We did see the extra height and knew they had layered a second floor on, not uncommon and we had planned to remodel the bath (and kitchen) in any case.

The kitchen is next with similar layering of floor in there but we can see the joists for that from the utility room and we know it's not messed up like the bathroom wall. The tile job in the kitchen is absolute shit. I hate pulling up cement backer, with any luck it will also have the too-short screws which made it a little easier.

Fortunately it's a bog standard 1970s vintage house so setting up a nicer than rental spec bathroom doesn't take all that much.

>> No.2792925

>>2792675
> generic whitefolk

You might as well say 'person'.

>> No.2794592

>>2792925
I could, I suppose, but it's no fun.

Got my subfloor in and was able to crank the floor up a little more, the 3/16" gap is gone. Floor has a little slope to it but is as flat as it will get.

Waiting on a window install so I can set my tub - for which instructions say you can use construction adhesive or mortar. My first house I set an acrylic tub in mortar, my second house I put in a cast iron tub (never again a 400lb tub) so we made damn sure the floor was level first, but all that was many years past.

Does using construction adhesive on an acrylic tub work or is that a high-level ghetto method? How would you assure that the tub is level if you don't have mortar to squish it onto?

>> No.2794968

Today I found fine thread drywall screws in my garage ceiling. The fun never ends.