[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.48 MB, 1761x3939, faguar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2723544 No.2723544 [Reply] [Original]

I started building this parts Jag but it turns out stock Jags are not as cool to play as strats and now I want to turn it into a weird guitar I can use for psych stuff by adding quartertone frets
So how do I calculate where to put the frets though? Or does it not have to be super accurate anyway?

>> No.2723555

google shits out this formula:
>d = s – (s / (2 ^ (n / 12)))
where s is the scale length, n is the number of the fret you want, giving you d: the distance from the nut to the nth fret. obviously this is for standard 12 equal temperament, so you'd replace 12 with 24 for the 24tet frets.
>d = s – (s / (2 ^ (n / 24)))
but honestly I'd just stick them somewhere close to the middle of existing frets, good enough to get some microtonal vibes without getting into the autistic rabbit hole of temperaments.

>> No.2723562

>>2723555
thanks man, I'm gonna put em in the middle, it's only supposed to be for the 2,4,5,7,9 and 11 frets + octave and I don't think anyone will be able to tell if it's off by a few cents anyway

>> No.2723625

>>2723562
you're gonna get insane fret buzz

>> No.2723662

>>2723544
Why not fretless? You'll have a hard time playing semitones properly anyhow as you will have to learn not to put your fingers too high above the desired fret when playing chords that you have learned already.

>> No.2723750

>>2723662
I mostly play riffs and the chords I play are mostly weird constructions so that doesn't matter but I play live and I don't want to play a fretless guitar when I'm drunk haha

>> No.2723751

>>2723625
can't be that bad, you can buy microtonal conversion necks or do you think because of the short scale and closer fret spacing?

>> No.2723769

Just mock each additional fret location up using a piece of stiff wire or a bamboo skewer and some rubber bands or string around the back of the neck to lock it in place, and check the pitch with a tuner to find the sweet spot.

Lots of traditional instruments use tied gut for movable frets, I had a turkish saz with the same thing but using 40 lb.-ish monofilament fishing line for all the frets.

It was kind of cool and exotic sounding but kind of a one trick pony, and a big part of why it sounded exotic wasn't so much the microtonal intervals but that it had 6 strings paired in 3 courses like a bouzouki so it had a natural chorusing effect and could be made really weird by tuning each course in intervals rather than in unison.

Something like that using all movable frets like a sitar would be pretty cool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zx6FVzN0g

>> No.2724680

>>2723751
honestly just bend them in, wtf are you messing around with fretboards for
unless you've got the hands of a 3yo a 1/4tone bend should be trivial

>> No.2725608

have you considered practicing instead of coming up with really bad ideas

>> No.2725751

>>2724680
>>2725608
This and this
An octave cannot be divided into 24. Rather 12 is the only continuously harmonious and reasonably low number. Better to fan and/or scallop your fret board.

>Or does it not have to be super accurate anyway?
Anon, It has to, like calculus, approach insanely accurate sub decimal lengths, in an equation with string gauge, fret and nut intonation, and triangular action, along with string tension and picking force. Even the untrained ear hears everything.

>> No.2725841

i wonder what sam is doing rn (right now)

>> No.2725950

>>2723751
>can't be that bad
Have you ever refretted a guitar? Or leveled/recrowned/dressed frets? How are you going to cut the new slots without fucking up the binding on that Jag neck? Do you understand how to size the slots to avoid compression fretting the neck and causing a backbow? There is quite a bit more to it than you realize.

>> No.2726343

>>2725841
i miss that lil' ni/gg/a like you wouldn't believe ;__;