[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.93 MB, 4032x1816, 20220706_204853.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2423305 No.2423305 [Reply] [Original]

I recently inherited a house from my grandmother and have been living in it with my brother for about 8 months. The basement was an absolute mess and cleaning it up we found the foundation walls in disrepair. Many of the bricks are cracked, but I am mostly concerned with this corner, where the bricks are sunken back from the rest of the wall. Does anybody know how to fix this and how urgent of an issue it is?

>> No.2423310

That's from a sinking or shifting foundation. You would have to have it ramjacked back up

>> No.2423315
File: 1.93 MB, 4032x1816, 20220706_204915.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2423331

>>2423305
make some measurements - write in on the well - check back in a year or two and extrapolate to decide if you give a shit. could have been like that forever

>> No.2423378

>>2423305
the correct repair should it deteriote more is a pony wall and jacks, given the failing wall is holding up your floor. monitor your gutters/water management in that area. watch when it rains, ensure drip edge works. mind the basement on rainy days ensure no water comes from the wall. if you have a sump, keep it working.
in these parts the substrate is like a sponge, it swells when water hits it enough and itll shatter rocks and poured basements if the water isnt managed correctly. to put it mildly, i just finished a pony wall here, because the guys neighbor refused to fix their gutters. took a week after the pour and now u hear jackhammers nextdoor. once he pours the weakest wall will go next if the water isnt redirected.
>>2423331 is also correct but incomplete without witnessing the water management. that shit happens either due to age shifting or the substrate grows and shrinks. that shit looks mostly cosmetic but youre not showing alot.

t. all hell for a basement