[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 247 KB, 1464x777, pool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2046544 [Reply] [Original]

is there a way to own a pool without harsh chemicals?

i want a comfy pool but i dont want like chlorine and toxic shit all over my skin every time i get in it

>> No.2046546

Salt pool. Wouldn't recommend.

>> No.2046549

Salt water pools might be what you're looking for!

>> No.2046733

>>2046544
Salt water pool or check out "natural pools" on youtube.

Or pony up for 6,000 plecos. (Fish)

>> No.2046735

>>2046733
Personally my idea is to have about 5 ponds but 4 will actually be filled with rock and a solar pump will perpetually filter hopefully crystal clear chemical free water through rocks like the 3rd world shitters filter with buckets >>2046549

>> No.2046797

>>2046544
Dig hole, fill with water, call it a pond. good for fishin' and skinny dippin'

>> No.2046800

>>2046544
>without harsh chemicals
Ionizer may work for you.
But you still need to shock it every so often.

>> No.2046853

Local YMCA uses UV. It's a weird smell walking in the pool area and not smelling chlorine.

>> No.2046881

Could you even begin to imagine the amount of dust inundating that pool and house. Holy Fuck, how would you even attempt at cleaning it? Leaf Blower would just make a mess.

>> No.2046903

>>2046881
Same as any pool? W a vac

>> No.2046946

>>2046544
Swimming pond with lava stones as filter. You can't heat it, but it's very natural.

>> No.2046968

>>2046903
Is your pool in a desert with sand all around or an neighborhood?

>> No.2046975

>>2046735
how you gonna deal with algae, anon?

>> No.2047003

>>2046544
the only other way is to have the so called natural pools, and for that you require a natural stream of water, otherwise it will turn into a muddy pond filled with disease,
and even then its prone to being algae rich and muddy

there is a club I occasionally go to that has just that, natural stream is diverted from a mineral rich source in the mountain, you have mini waterfalls and constant running water, extremely chilly though, but also close to a sauna, its pretty damn comfy, and chlorine free

>>2046735
this anon also has a decent idea, using rock for natural filtering, plus I don't know how a solar pump works, but if its something to keep it moving, sounds pretty good

>> No.2047379

Why would you trash nature like that

>> No.2047446

>>2046546
>>2046549
>>2046733
Salt pools use chlorine. You don't add it directly as free chlorine, you use a chlorine generator which turns H2O and NaCl (salt in your pool water) into NaOH (sodium hydroxide) and 2Cl (free dissolved chlorine gas). Some of the dissolved chlorine combines with the sodium hydroxide to make sodium hypochlorite, which is just normal pool chlorine/bleach.
Salt water pools are just as caustic as normal pools.

>>2046800
Ionizers make ozone, which is an oxidizer like chlorine. It's less persistent in the water though so you can turn off the generator for an hour before going in, and all the reactive dissolved gas should be gone.

>>2046853
This is fine but very expensive. You have to pump in a lot of UV all the time, constantly moving lots of water over the bulbs (which are expensive and don't last more than a few months). The sterilizing effect is not persistent at all so the filter has to be running all the time, and you still have to add chlorine to shock out growth when biofilm eventually starts to establish.

>> No.2047507

>>2046544

You need to treat your pool water or it will be green and nasty and likely to have gross stuff and bacteria pretty quickly. Basically every animal on earth loves fresh water, and that includes animals that carry bugs and parasites with them that attracts other nasty stuff. You can obviously still swim in a lake or whatever you want, but most people would rather have a clean pool.

>>2047446

This right here. You can use a combination of different filter and treatment types too, but it's ultimately necessary to have at least one filter and treatment system that's able to handle all of the water without issues.

What are your thoughts on ozone treatment efficacy over other traditional chlorine? Not OP, but I grew up with pools and have always thought it would be neat. I know the half life of ozone is short, but it creates hydroxide ions and makes an alkaline water solution. I wonder how it would work in a smaller scale setup or if it would be too difficult to balance concentration.

Also wondering if some sort of super-saturated "brine" (DIY Dead Sea water?) would do a good enough job keeping biofilm and microorganisms down.

>> No.2047719

>>2047507
Ozone can be just as good as chlorine but the capital cost and maintenance cost makes it much more expensive until you get into the range of large commercial pools. A good way to reduce the cost is to get a unit which is good enough to keep the pool sterile for a while on its own but is still quite undersized. You will still need to add chlorine, but the amount needed can be reduced by a huge amount, to the point where it's barely perceptible.

As for brine, well it will work, but it's not the best solution (lol). It will need to be very hypertonic compared to the human body, which causes drying and irritation of skin and mucus membranes like your mouth, nose and eyes.

>> No.2047753

>>2047719
my dad had an ozone system installed when he first had his pool built, but a couple years later he stopped using it and just went to chlorine. I figure it probably broke and it wasn't worth the cost of replacement to him, never bothered to ask though.

>> No.2047754

>>2047753
They require maintenance. The generator typically uses an electric arc, and the electrodes only last for so long. It probably wasn't making much O3 anymore and he didn't understand why so he just went back to dumping chlorine in.

>> No.2047776

>>2047754
probably. he's not very mechanically or electrically inclined so he probably just called it a piece a crap and bought some chlorine.

>> No.2049127

titanium nitrate?

>> No.2049244

>>2046544
Make your own ecosystem with fish and plants and aquatic turtles and krills.

Cousin did this. The krill sort of tickle your toes every so often but it's pretty neat

>> No.2049265

>>2046544
My uncle used to have a pool that his turtle went in, had special chemicals so the turtle would be fine. not salt water either. The downside is that the stuff to make it work is outrageously expensive, and that was 20 years ago; I can't imagine today.

>> No.2049268

>>2046544
Just get a house on a lake. Problem solved. Two things, don't swim during algal blooms, and never get water up your nose unless you want naegleria fowleri to eat your brain.

>> No.2049319

>>2046733
Salt water pools are a royal pain in the ass unless you can afford to have someone maintain it for you. I speak from experience. Converted our chlorine pool to salt. Converted it back to chlorine. Shit was turning green every other week.

>> No.2049326

Citric Acid Salts and Borax
Passive filter, nothing to serious or you will clog the filter. I lived in Phoenix.

>> No.2049475

>>2046881
just a big DE filter that you have to clean a lot. Really not that bad