[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 35 KB, 600x576, astonished tape player.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1734496 No.1734496 [Reply] [Original]

Thrift store General

Tips for getting deals and what to look for in thrift stores.

>from the look of things in my city if you need a sewing machine now is the time to get one, they are showing up in droves at all the Goodwills here. Not the old timey foot treadle machines I mean really well made ones from the 50's to 80's. looks like old lady boomers are kicking the bucket and their kids don't know what sewing is.

>> No.1734497

>>1734496

>ALWAYS grab a shopping cart. if you see something you might want, grab it and put it in your cart, then take it somewhere to research on your smartphone, or test and evaluate. I almost never bought anything if I could not get a sense of its value before checking out, Unless it was extremely cheap. Watch your stuff like a hawk. people will swipe stuff from your cart if they get half a chance. Test whenever practical but do not leave anything on the testing table unattended, it WILL disappear. Use your cart to gather what you need to test with, almost everything you need to test most electronics is in the store, like ac adapters, rca cables, speakers, batteries (look in clock radios and remotes), wires, cords etc.

>> No.1734498

>In some stores there were people who stayed there all day and grabbed ALL the best stuff. I saw a guy who does this, he had 2 Mcintosh tube amps in his cart. If you have time hang out and relax on one of the couches, try to determine when they bring stuff out. If possible peek in to the back room and spot the electronics testing table and cart, sometimes I could see that there was nothing worth waiting for, or that they were not "in production" and leave

>> No.1734502

>Tips for getting deals and what to look for in thrift stores.
you don't
at least here
I don't bother anymore with anything local since I value my time more than I used to, there's never anything worth looking at, especially in the past few years chains like savers and good will have increased their prices., Any time I go to a thrift store or pawnshop here I realize why I haven't in years. Pawnshops don't even have guns here so even less reason to go.
If there was a goodwill by the pound or the electronics stores I'd go.

Despite this being the largest city in the area, the city 20 miles away has a much larger savers store and actually has mildly interesting stuff, bought some books there months ago.

Only really note worthy thing I've bought in years at one was the dark brown us made carhartt jacket that was basically new for like $15 or $25.

>> No.1734510

its because the employees research these things to see whats valuable or not and keep it for themselves or sell it to a buddy who comes in when they put new shit out. they arent stupid. they are doing the very same thing you are doing, but they get to do it before you even know it was there.

>> No.1734519

>>1734496
Go back in time 15 years ago

>>1734510
This, I know someone who works at goodwill. They use Ebay pricing for everything they put out onto the floor.
There are no "good deals" anymore. Its been through so many hands and researched several times before it hits the floor, then chances are there will be people seeing it before you.

Thrift shopping is dead

>> No.1734523

>>1734510
You are giving the (literal) transsexuals that work at the two local stores much credit. I've gone to them on and off for like 5 years, and other stores 2000 miles away before that.
The simple fact of the matter is that if someone is giving shit to the thrift store, it's probably fucking junk. Gaymes and consoles are ebay prices. Never even seen a computer at a local store (besides the one I went to a few months ago).
Goodwill has an online element now, so I suspect anything that has any real monetary value is sold through that.
DVD's and CD's are basically more than you could get them off amazon shipped to your door.
I have no doubt that employees do store things to the side to sell to others, but that's less of a problem than the stores themselves have caught wind and raised prices on stuff in general.
Even like 7 years ago I recall a local (at the time) good will having like an auction glass case where you'd see some of the game console with a lot of the games, at outrageous prices.

>> No.1734529

>>1734502
Those Goodwill by-the-pound places are a hoot but most of the shit is trash. If you want to spend all day there fighting off the Africans that are grabbing shoes to sell in Kenya, you might find some gold in all that shit. But it's not guaranteed.

>>1734523
I'll second this. The Goodwill is good to get maybe some dishes if you don't have a damn thing or some kid clothes on a $2 Tuesday, but they don't have much more than that reasonably priced. Maybe some cheap expired ink cartridges if you happen to have a particular 20 year old ink jet printer that still works.

>> No.1734589

I hit up the thrift stores here every now and again but they are mostly clothes and household items these days. Their board game/puzzle section is bigger than their electronics section. I think it is because modern electronics are either super high end or junk. There is no middle ground anymore and the high-end stuff gets picked out before it hits the floor. All the local chains around me pull all the good stuff to sell it on their online store. Hell, Goodwill doesn't even use eBay, they have their own fucking webpage for it. They don't even try to hide the fact that they don't put good stuff on the floor anymore. If you want tools and shit though the ReStore is still great. They get some thrift type stuff too, small appliances and furniture, but they are mostly tools and building materials.

Estate sales and local auction houses are where it's at now. A half dozen places around me sell locally and they do all sorts of stuff. Business liquidations, old/surplus inventory sales, estates, city/county surplus clearouts, you name it. All the local estate companies have mailing lists and send pictures of their next sales. Fuck son, you can research everything from the comfort of your own home now.

>> No.1734600
File: 53 KB, 750x549, f43fb33.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734496
BPROs. (Battery powered ride ons.) Basically any power wheels type cars under 20 bucks and some are a steal at over 300 bucks... find one, get a brand or model number, post on a power wheels modding fb group.

No shit. People buy a fucking $450 power wheels truck for their kid. They ride it around till its smoking fuck dead and then leave it outside in the heat and cold.

>well piece of fucking shot won't charge reeeee.

It sets a few years collecting dust and being in the way. They try and sell it for several hundred off but nobody buys since they have the same problem.

A new gel battery is 9ah and $100 fucking doll hairs because it has a 30 amp breaker built into the lid and a Powerwheels stamp on a $15 battery.

Another year or 2 goes by. The kid is far to old for the piece of shit.

>YARD SALE $20

offer them 10 bucks and walk away with a $400 truck needing only a battery.

There's an ever growing aftermarket for us hotrodders out there.

They are kinda heavy, awkward, and unwieldy to load but i promise you one day after reading this you'll roll by a dingy ass sun faded Gravedigger and instead of the owner tossing it you'll make a $100 finders fee just by giving a powerwheels modder directions to it.

My pull so far.

$5 parts tractor. Nephew stripped a $40 gear box. I spent $40 on a metal 1st gear and modded the yardsale box. It's bulletproof now.

$15 Powerwheels Escalade. Put china made 775 sized motors on in place of stock 12v 550. Ran direct to a relay at 24v. Fucking mini drifter now.

Powerhweels "dune racer." Cost a 20 pack of bud light bottles and did the same. Bought 2 more gearboxes for the races next year. 4x775 motors at 24v and 4 rear tires.

Some offbrand jeep thing was free because i put a fb message out several years ago when i had cuckbook and a buddy dropped it off.

Turned down a ron of 6v because i just don't have the room for more atm. Bit the designs get better and more powerfull daily.

>> No.1734605

>>1734502

Ive got an pdd fetish for "vintage" tech. I have an old Zenith tv remote control that somehow worked via springs and metal rods inside with 4 buttons. It's now a 4 port usb hub and KVM monitor so my wife and i can share a battlestation with our own pc seperate. Can't get internet and only use it for a game amd Gimp.

Got a small tape player I'm cannibalizing. Keeping outside appearance, power button, skip and volume buttons. Lithium pack and multiple hidden usb charge ports for parties. One of the speakers will work and the other is just a fake housing for $200 worth of cords to charge phones. 2 lithium jump packs if theres room just because i have them

>> No.1734607

>>1734589
I used goodwills online auction service for a while.
I realized that every single time I put a proxy bid on something, it would get bid up all the way to my highest bid.
It annoyed me so fucking much I quit using it. Not to mention walking into their distribution center to pick your shit up was terrible. You walked into an office with a cubicle where nobody knows whats going on and some workers would bring up your shit.

Their shipping and handling and processing charges are criminal.

>> No.1734635

>>1734519
no good deal?
hmmm well in the last 7 years this is just a small sample of my finds.
Magnavox 20mf500t/17 20" LCD TV for $1
Shure 520DX $8
Eico VTVM $8
Line 6 amp $24.99
2 geiger counters $12
2 minimus 7's $8
2 veneered minimus 7's for $8.00.
WinTV-hvr 1600 $12
Pioneer SX-3600 $12
orphaned Mini Advent for $6.40
wireless shipping scale for $6.40
Technics SA-5460 for $20
supro S6606 $15
Center Channel Design Acoustics PS-CV for $7
Sansui 200 for $8
Optonica SA-5407 for $38
Proton 740 tape deck $6
Hewlett Packard 120b tube oscilloscope $14
Yamaha Natural sound GE-30 Equalizer $12
1 Optimus unknown speaker$6
1 Denon TU-450 $11
2 Garrard GSS100 speakers$12
realistic mini amp $2.50
realistic mini tuner $2.50
Technics SA-GX130 for $14
Technics RS-T330R Tape deck $6
optimus pro-x88av for $8
Garmin Etrex Legend $5
AC hookup wire for $5
Technics SH-8055 12 channel GEQ for $10
SU-V57 integrated amp, ST-S77 tuner, RS-B17W tape deck $24
Canon T-50 camera for $8
Yaesu FT-23R for $3
Kenwood KT-42B Tuner $6.
Fender Frontman 15G $5
Marantz SD155 Tape Deck $13.
Optimus SA-155 "amp" $6.
NAD Monitor Series Power Amplifier 2100 Power Envelope $19.
Luxman Tuner Preamp TP-117 with BOTH remotes $24
Fisher DS-810 speakers $20
General Signal PC-150 line conditioner/isolation transformer $8
Ross Electronics Co. 2101, 8 band radio $8
craftsman 1/4" socket set $3.00
Technics SA-301 $20
Yamaha A-32 $10
Audiosource AMP One/A $10
Triad Bronze Powersub $8
Pioneer PL-115d $5
Kenwood KA-127 $24
Fisher 215 $17
Coral BX-200 speakers $14.00
Sansui 7070 $27

>> No.1734636

>>1734607
I got a brand new never used 900 watt inverter generator for half of it's new price from shopgoodwill best $150 I ever spent it works great.

>> No.1734641

where I have 2 "routes" I take and alternate them on Tuesdays and Fridays. I avoid Thursdays because that is when they have their colored tag is $1 day and all the women show up to buy tons of clothes and clog the stores.

The north route is 5 stores and it takes me 1.5 hours if I am alone or 2+ hours if the wife is with me.

The south Route also has 5 stores and takes the same amount of time. The west side of town is crap because that is the poor side of town and the east side of town is pretty good, has more stores, but takes way longer.

I recently got a lawn mower for $4 that I fixed for about $12 and will try to sell in the spring for about $75.

An edger I got for $29 fixed for about $25 and can probably get at least $150 for.

>> No.1734648

>>1734589
I use this site to find estate sales but most of the estate sales in my area are what's left after old women die, which leave behind useless crap like dolls, porcelain figureines, clothes, dishes, and jewelry.
https://www.estatesales.net/

The stuff I am interested in is estates from when a guy dies then there are tools, electronics, and all sorts of cool stuff but those don't happen often.

See when there is a married couple and the guy dies first the women gets rid of all his stuff (dumps it at goodwill or a yard sale).

when the woman dies first the guy often keeps everything.

You can tell from the pictures on the site I listed who was the last to die in a house buy the type of stuff they are selling.

>> No.1734656

I use to hit up 5 goodwills on my way home each night from work. in and out 5 or 10 minutes max. Found a lot of good stuff that way.

>> No.1734663

>>1734648
That site is garbage tier. No one uses it. You are missing out on a ton of listings. Check Craig's List and Facebook, both the marketplace and local groups. Also, find the people/companies in your area that do estate liquidations and sign up for their newsletter or whatever. Also, keep an eye out for signs. Some "adult children" of people that have passed away still haven't heard about the internet and only use signs.

>> No.1734680

>>1734502
>Pawnshops don't even have guns here
Where is "here?"

>> No.1734682

>>1734663
I don't have a facebook account and craigslist in my area is crap for estate listings that site is better.

>> No.1734683

>>1734502
Pawn shops? every pawn shop I have ever been to is ridiculously over priced. used tools for more than new prices, same for guns and anything else.

>> No.1734684

>>1734635
>2 geiger counters
What brand?

>> No.1734694
File: 868 KB, 3293x2024, DSC02449.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734684
both were atomic research corp

One was a Gamma survey meter meant to be used from an airplane.

The other was handheld meter for beta and Gamma radiation

pic related was the survey meter sold it on ebay even though several of the tubes had imploded, the guy who bought it only wanted the tubes and did not want me to removed them as they implode real easily.

>> No.1734696
File: 861 KB, 2521x2905, DSC02446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734694
other meter

>> No.1734697

>>1734694
Sounds like fun.
I've only encountered one once in person, it was a CD in a kit the pawn shot wanted $75 for.

>> No.1734702

>>1734697
I bought 2 Geiger counters before fukushima and paid not too much money for them one was a CD survey meter which is useless as when it reads something it's lowest reading is in the range that would kill you and another CD surplus meter that can sense beta radiation like from coleman lantern mantles and certain glass ware and dishes.

after fukushima Geiger counter prices skyrocketed for several years.

>> No.1734704

>>1734702
>after fukushima Geiger counter prices skyrocketed for several years.
Goddamn normies

>> No.1734705

recently I noticed a crap tone of VR goggles showing up in Goodwills and could not figure out why. They were the type you put a phone in to.

Then I read an article that said 2 major phones makers that supported those stopped supporting them. so it appears people were dumping their goggles.

>> No.1734711

Over the last several years I got a lot of very high end Component stereo equipment for almost nothing. I have a Mitsubishi M-F01 AM FM tuner which is probably the best tuner I have ever seen. it has a port for an oscilloscope so you can view your signal and determine if you are getting multi-point reception and compensate for it.

$15

>> No.1734717

>>1734635
>7 years hunting
>literally only bought 3 things worth a fuck

Fucking oof
Can you guess what those 3 things they are?

>> No.1734719

>>1734705
Google cardboard works with any android phone, those cheap VR headsets were only like 10$ to begin with.
They got dumped because they were shit

>> No.1734721 [DELETED] 

>>1734680
gay place
Okay, there's like one if after I googled it, but it's like an 45 minutes north and I can't be bothered.

>>1734683
That's basically everywhere, pawn america was decent for buying media when I was still near there.
For guns it'd be more hoping of them being retards and just putting some esoteric french rifle out a a carcano or something (random example). I've never gone to one with actual intend on buying so I don't know.

>> No.1734723 [DELETED] 

gay place
Okay, there's like one if after I googled it, but it's like an 45 minutes north and I can't be bothered.

>>1734683
That's basically everywhere, pawn america was decent for buying media when I was still near there.
For guns it'd be more hoping of them being retards and just putting some esoteric french rifle out as a carcano or something (random example). I've never gone to one with actual intend on buying so I don't know.

>> No.1734726

>>1734680
gay place

>>1734683
For guns it'd be more hoping of them being retards and just putting some esoteric french rifle out as a carcano or something (random example). I've never gone to one with actual intend on buying so I don't know.

>> No.1734733

>>1734717
well lets see
I sold the Sansui 7070 for $175 (should have kept it)
The Suppro S6606 for $278
The Shure 520DX sold for $66
The nad 2100 sold for $125
The Bose AV-18 sold for $159.99
The Triad bronze sold for $82

Basically from the records I keep I spent $445 on stuff I sold and got $1327.39

that is not a complete list and many of the really good things not listed I kept.

you do not seem to know what is good and what is not. There were many things I sold on ebay that I thought weren't anything to get excited about and they sold for way more than expected.

>> No.1734735

>>1734733
>Bose AV-18
that was just the dvd player.

>> No.1734739

>>1734719
no the phones themselves had special processing and software to work specifically with VR goggles.

And whatever the reason they all started dumping at the same time, for the last several years no VR goggles.... suddenly all the goodwill stores are flooded with them.

And now there are almost none showing up.

Oh and something else that started showing up lately is hunting bows.

>> No.1734741

>>1734733
$126 a year profit after scouring thrift stores and spending time posting and selling on ebay

>you do not seem to know what is good and what is not.

You do not seem to know what a good use of your time is.

>> No.1734742
File: 613 KB, 200x200, anhero.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734717
you know... what is is with people like you? really? I mean I had a blast doing it, found a lot of cool stuff for good prices and sold lots of stuff for decent profit. Not everything I buy or am interested may interest you but NO! you got to swoop in here and shit all over everything.

please pic related.

>> No.1734745

>>1734741
hmmmm.... well all I know is that I no longer have to work for a living so....

>> No.1734746

>>1734733
>Sansui 7070 for $175 (should have kept it)

god damn it, i saw a sansui in there the other day for $8, but it sounded like a cheap knock-off brand from the 80s so i passed on it.

>> No.1734748

>>1734745
and no I am not a boomer.

>> No.1734749

>>1734742
>you know... what is is with people like you? really?

I used to buy and sell HIFI equipment in the early 00s, it wasnt hard to walk in and find sx-1080 tier equipment for cheap. It was everywhere, when the boom happened in 09 or so it was easy fucking money.

You come back with a list of literal garbage low WPM receivers and 80s trash that nobody wants and expect people to be impressed?
Youve only proven my point friend.
Keep buying up those Fisher speakers with blown out surrounds to make 10$ profit.

Thrift shopping is dead, ESPECIALLY in the field you are interested in.

>>1734745
On disability, or can you live off of $126 a year?

>> No.1734751

>>1734746
well now be careful was it 1970's era Sansui or later? Did it have a real wood case and silver front? then it's a good one. if it was fake wood veneer or black plastic crap then pass.

Like most brands sansui started becoming shit in the late 80's.

>> No.1734755

>>1734749
Well the only Fisher speakers I have were curb finds and with new surrounds they sound great, they were from the 60's and sold for the modern day equivalent of $3000

and no not on disability. but nice try. nope started investing a while back and made enough money I no longer need to work.

>> No.1734756

>>1734749
>Thrift shopping is dead, ESPECIALLY in the field you are interested in.
gooby plees! maybe where you are.

>> No.1734757

>>1734755
>but nice try. nope started investing a while back and made enough money I no longer need to work.

I certainly hope so because you arent going to pay the bills trying to turn over fucking minimus 7s and low end technics trash.

>> No.1734758

>>1734496

Here's what I don't get.

I used to drop by the thrift store on my way home from work every day, and there would always be 4 or 5 cordless phones, usually panasonic, some of them pretty new, DECT 6.0 or whatever. I would buy matching sets periodically (at like $5 bucks) just for the batteries! They came in bagged sets of like 3 or 4 phones with chargers. I figure they were getting about 2 sets in per day on average.

About 2 years ago it suddenly stopped. ZERO of these phones seen for two years.

WTF happened? Is panasonic buying them back? Are older cordless phones hackable into an illegal device?
What are they doing with them?

>> No.1734760

>>1734751
> Sansui

Heh, now I don't feel so bad, it was black plastic (crap). Thank you.

I recently bought a mini sony receiver for $15, and when I opened it up to clean the dust out of it, everything was made by "Sanyo" inside. LOL. Well, at least it had bluetooth. Some hipsters got rid of it because it had that stupid ipod dock on the top of it, and that's not trendy anymore. I, however, don't care :-)

>> No.1734761
File: 170 KB, 500x282, PlasmaTV.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734758
Better question, what happened to all those great TV deals that you used to see on 20" tvs?

>> No.1734764

>>1734760
All of the most sought after Sansui integrated amps were blackface.
Their integrated amps are vastly more valuable than their receivers.

>> No.1734765

>>1734761

Especially when you can get TVs from Staples' recycling overflow, sometimes they have so much shit they leave it outside. I picked one up just the other day, even had the remote taped to the stand. The built-in DVD player didn't work though.

At our local thrift shop they always take the remote away and sell it separately. Luckily I searched around the remotes for a Yamaha that I picked up, and took it up to the manager who was like a 16 yr. old kid and asked WTF, and he unbagged it and gave it to me. The fucking natzis even too the time to SHARPIE OVER ALL THE BRAND NAMES on the remotes. Not like you can't still see through that shit. Idiots.

>> No.1734769

>>1734765
I have seen a lot of TVs sitting on the street right after black friday this year. Very odd, but it makes sense as to why I dont see any tvs at all really.

>> No.1734780

>>1734635
that doesn't change what other people said. that simply means you paid a fair price and nobody was wiling to offer more. otherwise the stores would have priced accordingly. it is the "efficient market" as they say about the stock market, i.e. all information is already built into prices. so there is no way to "beat" the market because there are no undervalued or overvalued items.

>> No.1734832
File: 1.02 MB, 2560x1440, 20191215_001353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm into knives of all kinds. As far as pocket knives go I've found only a few good ones a 1970 Case, a couple unused Swiss army, 1950s camp knife, US army mlk knife, and some other inexpensive slipjoint knives most I buy for a buck. Kitchen knives is where you can find old carbon steel knives, Cutco, homemade knives, hunting/skinning knives. Just found a 70s Gerber today and the bottom is apparently 90$ new on Amazon. Oldest find is a ~1870s table knife, all less than 1$

>> No.1734833

>>1734832
Pic is upside down, black knife is the 90$ knife. Middle knife I believe is Russian/soviet, other knife is the oldest and unmarked

>> No.1734836

>>1734832

what the hell would you want an old home made knife for? probably used as a murder weapon, and now you're using it to spread marmite on a cracker.

>> No.1734906

- Go to fleamarkets for unique items and good deals instead of normie goodwill-type stores where the prices are the same as ebay's "i know what i have" sellers.
- Have in mind that ebay items are always priced 10-20% higher than what the seller is actually looking to get, because eBay takes that percentage as their cut for every successful sale.
- Sellers are way more open to lowball offers if you catch them as they're getting ready to leave for the day.
- Old random industrial equipment junk doesn't sell for too much because it's usually incomplete and/or its purpose is unknown, but often contains very high quality components like power supplies, linear rails and brand name capacitors.

>> No.1734928

>>1734758
>Is panasonic buying them back? Are older cordless phones hackable into an illegal device?
What are they doing with them?

more than likely that was the end of them there were no more out there.

>> No.1734929

>>1734764
only if the face is metal and not plastic. use the back of your hand to test for metal, metal will be cold.

>> No.1734930

>>1734502
This. Unless you're looking at pawn shops or dont have a full time job, a house, a family, or anything else. Dont waste your time. Its junk.

Estate sales is where grown ups thrift.

>> No.1734932

>>1734780
The stores in my area have absolutely no idea what to price and there is no standard pricing. Sometimes it's ebay prices, sometimes it ridiculously low prices. My theaory is that if it's a guy doing the pricing he goes to ebay, but if it's a chick she looks at it and goes "who would want this?" and puts a low price on it. I got many of my best deals because some idiot had no clue.

I picked up a Yaesu FT-23R 2 meter portable transceiver for $2 with brand new batteries in it. It's hackable and can sell on ebay for about $80.
If it had been at one of the other stores I go to it would have had a price of $50

>> No.1734933

>>1734836
found the cry for help.

>>1734906
no really good flea markets in my area and most of the year it's way to hot to have them.

>1734930
when there is a decent one that doesn't just have girly stuff.

>> No.1734934

In the Goodwills in my State most goods are marked with a "secret" mark to try and stop sticker switching and in case someone rips the price tag off in hopes of getting a better deal buy asking for another one.

If you people ask nicely I can tell you how to read them. that way if you find an item where the price tag fell off or removed you don't have to track down someone who can tell you the price.

>> No.1734942
File: 258 KB, 800x1398, stage prop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

strangest thing I ever saw at a GW was this

The most ridiculously over priced item I ever saw was an upright player piano they wanted $1500 it didn’t sell, on 50% off Saturday it didn’t sell. They lowered the price to $1000 (repeat). $750 (repeat) $500 (repeat) then at $250 it sold or it sold for half that on 50% off Saturday.

I see old organs from the 60’s -80’s that have wildly ranging prices. For a while all organs were way over priced like $200 (they never sold for that) then all of a sudden they were priced For between $19 and $49 dollars and still weren’t selling. Now they prices them around $50. Most people want the tube ones for the amplifiers, no one wants a giant organ in their living room anymore.

I see electric wheel chairs and scooters with high price tags on them. The thing about electric mobility devices is that people rarely buy them second hand because they can get them for free from their insurance provider. They are a good source for strong electric motors for robot building though. I got a couple of them for free, and made a generator out of one.

>the trick to thrift store shopping is to be there when they bring stuff out. Some stores in some states do this on a predictable schedule others do not. I have seen people camp out in GW's all day EVERY day. One guy who did this had two McIntosh amplifiers from the 60's in his cart. both Priced at $39. The guy was in the same store every day for months.

>> No.1734943
File: 117 KB, 800x1275, Fair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The stores in my area have a strict policy of pic related

>> No.1734956

>>1734934
I bring the offering of a slaughtered calf, milk and honey. I burn sage to cleanse my heathen soul in your presence. I denounce all who have come before and will reject all who come after. Behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. The true Alpha and Omega: Eternal Sticker Man.

Oh wise and Eternal Sticker Man, please enlighten us with your ways.

How does I do Goodwill sticker swap for to save me money?

>> No.1734964
File: 41 KB, 1081x551, waynesworld1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734956
Your groveling pleases me.

But you still won’t be able to sticker swap. The stickers in my area can’t usually be removed without damaging them or wiping the price off (by chemicals).
In my area:
The stuff is marked with a Red grease pencil or something that is resistant to being removed. The mark looks like a letter or a series of letters like LP or R or the most rarest E.
The codes work as follows with a letter indicating a number that matches the first numbers before the decimal on the tag.

L=$1
O=$2
W=$3
P=$4
R=$5
I=$6
C=$7
E=$8
S=$9

LP=$14
WS=$39
Etc.

But as I said you can read the price on an item if someone else removed the sticker.

>> No.1735028

>>1734943
that makes a lot of sense otherwise it would defeat the whole point of a thrift store. however there is no way to directly enforce that rule, as the employees can buy through their friends or relatives or just tip them so they could buy for themselves, right?

>> No.1735038

>>1734932
>no idea what to price

I see dollar store stuff priced at, like $3.50 and they put the sticker right next to the fucking dollar store price! "No Idea" is an understatement.

>> No.1735042

>>1735028

Heh, you find underpriced stuff in bizarre locations sometimes. I assume they're working in teams.... I found a Women's Burberry jacket hidden in the mens xxl uniform section.

Probably ditched there for pick-up by an accomplice.

>> No.1735043

>>1734943
>>1735028
They have said that for decades, but its just not true.
They vet everything that comes in the door, they put the good stuff on ShopGoodwills website.

Of course they are going to keep the shit they want in the back for themselves even if they arent supposed to. They throw away a shitton of stuff, all they have to do is throw away the stuff they want.

>> No.1735050

>>1735043
>they put the good stuff on ShopGoodwills website
Not in my city.

>> No.1735052

>>1735043
>Of course they are going to keep the shit they want in the back for themselves even if they arent supposed to

No they put it up front in a glass case with a really high price that no one buys until $1 day.

>> No.1735055

>>1735043
>They throw away a shitton of stuff
Goodwill does not throw anything away, if something does not sell it eventually is taken of the shelves and sent to a clearance center where brown people fight over it, and buy it by the pound. if it still does not sell it goes to a recycler.

search for goodwill clearance center on youtube to see the chimpouts.

>> No.1735064

>>1735055
I know someone who works at a distribution center.
There is a large abundance of stuff, tons get thrown away before they ever even get sent to the stores.

People use Goodwill like a dump and will donate moldy, bedbug ridden rags of clothes that promptly get thrown away because you look like white trash.

>> No.1735065

>>1735052
They have 35mm cameras and Playstation 2 games in those front cases, nothing that anyone actually wants.

>> No.1735068

>>1735065
maybe at your stores.

>> No.1735070

>>1734635
How many hours? I bet your flipping things and making $3/hr while pissing everyone off.

>> No.1735090

>>1735068
What sort of great stuff is behind the glass at your stores?
Id love to hear it.

>> No.1735099

>>1735090
A complete industrial SCBA not in the cabinet but behind it.
various types of test equipment.
A surveillance system
High end cameras that I would have killed for before digital.
Old shortwave tube radios.
Bose wave radios
A $400 restaurant waffle maker.
That's what I can remember.if it's in the case bend over to buy it.

>> No.1735101

>>173507
It's a hobby.

>> No.1735105

>>1735099
How many of those did you buy?

>> No.1735436

>>1734496
The only time I buy is when it's really underpriced.

Found a 20bar cappuccino machine worth a few hundred priced the same as a shitty used Mr. Coffee.

Found a Fender Amp nobody bought all week because it didn't work. Waited until 50% off day for that color. Just needed a new input soldered in for $4.

>> No.1735511

>>1734496
Just chiming in as a life long junker/yard saler/second hand guy: fuck goodwills and thrift stores. eBay killed them. Yard sales are where it’s at. Just go on Craigslist or Yard sales dotcoom or, if you live in a decently populated area, ride around the back roads between 8 - 4 Friday - Sunday. It’s anaz what good stuff is out there. Been meaning to create a /junker general/ for some time for others to show off their goods. As an added bonus, I’m residential HVAC by trade and if I see something cool at someone’s house (and they’re cool) I’ll ask about it and they’ll just give it to me as a tip. I can’t tell you how much cool shit I have because of it. Happy junkin’, folks.

>> No.1735513
File: 1.81 MB, 4032x3024, A60CBD9D-5F75-4115-A84D-7227117B8600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1735511
Shit, forgot pic. All free from a sweet old widow.

>> No.1735520

>>1735511
I live in a city of over 2 million.
Yard sales in my city are absolute crap. Nothing but modern day garbage black plastic crap, little kids clothes/toys, old rusty crap tools, and hardly anything of any value. If I want anything It's goodwills. they all have good stuff here. other thrift stores (what's left of them) are worthless.

>> No.1735521

>>1734498
This. I can't compete with the welfare queens using my tax dollars to fuck up my hobby.

>> No.1735523

>>1735521
He wasn't a welfare queen and the goodwill was in the high end side of town. I think he was temporarily out of work. He disappeared after a couple of months.

>> No.1735529

>>1735521
This, my goodwill is right next to the VA

>> No.1735556

>>1735520
Sounds like a shitty city. Hell, I know guys in NYC who are getting curbside hauls every week of cool shit. Go out to the suburbs on a holiday weekend and I guarantee you’ll get good shit...so long as you don’t live in a shit state like Wyoming or something.

Just do Your homework; yard sales are going to be shit in meme boomer retirement areas like Las Vegas, South Carolina, Tampa, etc. Those people already downsized their possessions and sold their kids shit. Established, working class areas with a lot of middle, upper middle, and lower wealthy families are the best.

>> No.1735578
File: 69 KB, 810x1080, turtle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have been going to thrift stores/garage sales/classified ads etc for over 10 years looking for deals. I will share some of my wisdom and things Ive learned as well as treasures I've found.

#1 is this should just be a hobby for you. NOT a way to make a living. Don't get me wrong I flip junk all the time, not on the regular, JUST when I see an opportunity. It takes all the fun away when you spend hours listing worthless shit on ebay, craiglist etc. now people flip shit on Instagram, facebook etsy too much now

Velvet tiki picture. Thrift store paid $2, unframed, custom frame I paid $60.

Japanese Flag. Looks old, dont know if real. Flea market $5.

Sea turtle shell. Purchased at thrift store paid: $200. This is currently my best find. I need to get it appraised but its worth over $1000 for sure. It was weird right purchase after I said I would buy it, all the staff at this large thrift store came to watch me pay for it (about 5 people), When I was paying an old man tried to say it would buy from the store for double and to cancel the payment. Another random old man jogged ahead of me to get the doors for me and tried to make a deal with me for it on the way out. Outside waiting were 2 more groups of people waiting for me. Some people thought I was a biologist and wanted me to tell about what it has. Another old boomer said we can make 5k each working together to turn that shell into guitar picks, I told him not a fucking chance bro.
>tl;dr bought a sea turtle shell and all the boomers got weird

>> No.1735586

the trick is to only hope to find things that normies wouldn't look twice at. I have found some really nice 1280x1024@75Hz PC monitors at Goodwill for like $3-9. Since they are usually 5:4 or 3:4 most people don't look twice. A couple of perfectly good keyboards as well for $1 each.

Never been so lucky to find a oscilloscope or anything like that but I don't go often. And to assuage the concerns about too many layers of people doing research, a lot of the really good stuff you'll find is donated by relatives of someone who died. They ran off with the newer electronics. The Goodwill employees can't Google everything. Smart customers are your biggest threat.

>> No.1735592

>>1735556
>working class areas with a lot of middle, upper middle, and lower wealthy families are the best.
that's what we have, they suck for stuff. wealthy families here don't have yard ales

>> No.1735593
File: 2.13 MB, 4032x3024, IMG_2785.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1735578
Pick a subject/items you like and become a self taught expert on. Whatever it is, Cloths, tableware, pots/pans, corning glass, Tupperware, electronics etc.
The only reason I start doing this is because I was poor and liked music. During 2006/7 All thrift stores had records for $1 or less and at the time no one wanted vinlys. My favorite store had records for 25 cents, at the time. I focused my attention to music only. At first, records then CDs, then instruments. Slowing branching out. During the phase of my life where I was doing this full time my 2 main focuses were anything music related and cameras. I have become "expert" enough, that I no longer need to check my phone or google an item in the store. After years of just looking at old stuff you kinda get a feel of it. I do not like to use the internet much because Ebay is a bad way to judge the price and google cant always show everything. For example the Turtle shell>>1735578. google didn't bring any results really. Nothing that size. $200 seemed like a rip off, but
A) It was cool. Cool factor you could call it
B) never ever had I saw something like that for sale anywhere before (rare)
C)Internet showed nothing. This can go either way Good/bad sign.

So really internet doesn't matter, it pretty much goes
Have I ever seen this before?
Is it rare?
Condition?
Do I want it? (How hard is it to sell this?)

Polaroid camera various stores $1-5 (SX70 far right) was $40 at photographer themed flea market

>> No.1735597
File: 84 KB, 440x614, el-cheapo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One trends is the ridiculous prices my local thrift store is slapping on pic relateds. $14.99 minimum and more if it's a krups or a braun, and they are all filthy, beat to shit, and in many cases broken with missing parts. I can get one new in box for $14.99.

Thanks to hipst/zoom-ers driving the prices up, WTF do you need these for?

>> No.1735610

As a radio repair guy, broken is your friend! I have scored a lot of items found on the test table because someone could not get it working. When I find tube equipment I don't even bother testing it. I buy it, and fix it when I get home. Many times I have something recapped and aligned or whatever within a couple of hours of finding it.

Don't bother with 50% off days unless you are faster than other people and know exactly what you are looking for, 50% off day is a zoo.

If your new to this hobby and you want to find some nice stereo equipment here are some general rules to tell if something is good quality without having to google it:
Is it in a wood cabinet? good
is the wood particle board with a thin paper veneer? Possibly bad
Is the face plate metal? Probably good.
Is it black? Maybe bad, maybe good.
Is it black with a black metal face plate? Probably good.
is it heavy? Good
Is it VERY heavy, Even better
does it have more than 1 component in it? bad
Amplifier and AM/FM radio (AKA a receiver) good
Amplifier only? Good
Amplifier, radio, and record player? garbage
Amplifier, radio, tape, and record player? Garbage
Is it made by soundesign? Garbage
Does it say Crosley on it, but somewhere it has a tape or CD? Garbage.
Does it have tubes inside? VERY GOOD (but will need repair).
is it an old record player? good
Is it a turn table? maybe good
can the turntable stylus be removed or easily replace? good
Is it missing? yes? bad, no? good, steel it (kidding).
does the TT have a ridiculous amount of gizmos to adjust anything and everything? very good.

>> No.1735627

>>1735597
I use mine for grinding up weed. I doubt that's why they're popular though, probably all the dumb ass hipster kids that drink special coffee and shop at thrift stores.

>> No.1735759

Some months ago I sold an 18 DVD Benny Hill megaset that I bought for 15 bucks for 230$ online (got under 200$ after Amazon jews took their cut).

>> No.1735983

>>1734930
Those tend to be better because there isn't a middleman with a vested interest in getting their cut. Understandably, a lot of people just want to get rid of shit no matter the cost (if they got any sense).
But there is nothing worse than those sales where they hire some company run by old ladies to go in there and run the sale, it's always funny to see the prices on shit at those.

I went to a yardsale a few months ago, it was only going to like 12pm, I was tempted to go earlier because I saw some gaymes I could maybe resell, but given they had those SNES/NES classic things mentioned in the ad, I assumed they probably know about the value a bit. I wasn't going to go but like usual I want to leave and do something if I can so I went out at like 11:15.got there at exactly 12pm, it was a richer neighborhood.
Went up the driveway and looked around, and looked at a few things, I asked what the wanted for some of the stuff, then they said I could just have whatever I want.
I did the whole wow really, are you sure shtick and proceeded to clear out just about everything of value. Got a laugh looking at their original prices, there was like $80 on a nes classic, then crossed down to $60, at the end they ended up just giving it away.
Got a bunch of electronics, bluetooth wireless earbuds (I needed those), free flat screen (10 year old LG, but it's good for the basement), a monitor, lots of newer cords, nes classic with controllers, rasberry pi, gtx 670, some cast iron grill pans, containers, some book I am waiting on amazon to give me a $35 trade in credit for, etc.

I can't remember it all, but I've made like $150 and got a bunch of shit I kinda needed. Haven't sold the 670 yet since I try to always test thing prior to selling it, but I don't want to pull my graphics card to test it.

>> No.1735994

>>1735983
nice work. I'm sorry to say that my mom is one of those old ladies with no pricing knowledge. She runs the local anime shelter rummage sale every year and this past year I ended up with boxes full of unsold stuff. Nothing really good unfortunately. They had old 3:4 LCD monitors for like $30 but also perfectly good keyboards and mice for $0.25 each. I don't know why she didn't ask me about it.

>> No.1736043

>>1734498
Get to know the store owner/operator.
I had one years back that would take a wish list and hold things for a day. Of course it did cost me in beer. Some pawn shops I know will also do this if you are a regular. Doesn't hurt to ask.

>> No.1736052

>>1736043
they won't do it here.

>> No.1736056
File: 1.36 MB, 2080x1560, White van.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my old pal "white van speakers" this pair they wanted $64

>> No.1736063

>>1736056
what a bargain!
They still run that scam these days?

>> No.1736271
File: 271 KB, 1653x859, 1576382197214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734496
Go round the store twice you will notice things you haven't noticed before

>> No.1736322

>>1736056
I know these are a "scam" or at least off-brand, but are they actually any good? I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt; I don't have a pair though.

>> No.1736436

>>1736271
agreed one of my best finds was the Supro S6606 tube amp, I had checked out all the shelves, went to the restroom, came back and decided to look one more time before leaving and it had been brought out in the 2 minutes I was in there.

>> No.1736440

>>1736322
they are $20 dollar speaker quality, I don't know if they actually have a crossover in them.

>> No.1736513

>>1736440
Heh.. for $20 you might get a decent cap or two.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/white-van-speaker-dissection.693552/

Even for shit tier, WVS are shit.

>> No.1736830

>>1734496
Don't faff about with them.
Right rip off.
Get your gear from carboot sales.

>> No.1739256

near where i live (USA) Habitat for Humanity (which is an organization that hooks up homeless/impoverished families with housing) runs thrift stores for the purpose of furnishing these homes and you can get lots of building materials, appliances, power tools etc for really cheap, also regular thrift store junk but occasionally some interesting finds. my local one still has some shit like old slide projectors and typewriters sitting around for dirt cheap, and most everything is priced so that people who are dirt poor can afford it. got a 9/10 condition wurlitzer organ from there ($15) and a perfectly working 80s yamaha rack EQ ($20) as well as a bunch of super cheap flooring and random gardening gear
prices will generally depend on the store though, desu this one is the only good thrift store in my area. all the other ones are hoarder hellholes filled with old people smells and overpriced chintzy garbage that some fuckin' 75 year old cat lady will put on their mantelpiece until they croak and it returns to the same store

>> No.1739354

>>1739256
The "Habitat for humanity" near me sells used stuff at ebay wishful thinking prices. They had a television from the 50's that (fully restored) might have been worth $250. They wanted $680 It sat there for about 6 or 7 years. I think it finally sold but I have no idea for what price.

>> No.1739362

>>1734589
>auction
estate / business liquidation auctions are the ticket. The best is auctions that don't have a ton of interesting stuff but have things you want at them. I went to one that was just a house in an older upscale development and only like 20 people showed up and no one else was buying tools. I got the following for a dollar per line:
28' warner extension ladder
pile of shovels, rakes and 2 digging bars, axe
jackson wheelbarrow
electric smoker
5 rolls of gorilla tape
2 lb of assorted tap-cons
nice washing machine, used the day before
3 filing cabinets and a big metal locker

Also auctions where there are multiple auctioneers going simultaneously because there are always lulls where you are only bidding against a few people. I got my (working) jenny air compressor that way for $2 and bought 50 wooden apple crates for a dollar / 5 and sold for $15-20 each. The best one from that auction was an office photocopier I paid $10 for and sold it to a guy who ships them to India for $650 through craigslist.

>> No.1739371
File: 466 KB, 522x669, 93561daaa2e214b67ae44d2c4483d088.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1735578
Boomer here. My local thrift store carries so much shit the prices always drop. I'm an oldfag at this so I have a keen eye for what's actually vintage vs. some new, retro garbage leftovers from dollar stores. I guarantee the ones doing the pricing where I go are at least 10 years younger than I am or just plain dumb. I do especially great with vintage 70's-80's jackets, nike gear, air jordans, once I bought a pair of beat up 1985 Pony high tops for $4.99 and flipped them for $55. And nobody knows jack shit about electronics where I go. There's always late 90's-early 00's outdated Internet tech brand new that I flip for $10 a pop easy.

Thrifting and flipping is fun but doing it full time alone, I don't know about that. I'd be too busy packing and listing shit online all day every day. To make a decent living (above wagecuck) I would imagine needing help is a must. But I'd rather be doing that than flipping burgers or stocking shelves making the same amount of dough.

>> No.1739431
File: 33 KB, 640x619, 9CF29938-9958-42E4-9391-DC0517B42FA0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734497
If you have to google the value of things, you will never make any real money.

I laugh at all the stupid normies spending 5 minutes to google one stupid item (which I can immediately value at unprofitable).

At that rate normies can value a dozen items in a span of hour, by then I’ve parsed the entire store.

>> No.1739435

>>1734635
A bunch of crummy electronics that are both too heavy and too flaky to risk an INAD

You are like one of those monthly e-waste collection services, except you pay for the garbage

>> No.1739681

>>1739431
google is for RESEARCH not to find the VALUE.
Sometimes you find things that LOOKS valuable or rare and you google to see what it is.

researching for the value you do at home later.

I parse the store grab stuff put it in the cart then research dumb ass. It's not possible to KNOW the value of everything.

>> No.1739683

>>1739435
except my "e-waste" gets me more money. but you know more about these things than I do.

>> No.1739848

>>1734496
All Goodwill stores in my area are 85% clothes, 5% useless glassware and shit, 5% books and old VHS tapes and 5% furniture. Like to collect vinyl records? Hope you like the Oak Ridge Boys, Perry Como, or the Baptist Gospel Quartet because that’s all they have.

>> No.1740233
File: 39 KB, 300x400, 1-vintage-japanese-hanten-happi-coat_1_57ef8fd821ff1ca40c3ec2fe18184db4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1735586
>Never been so lucky to find a oscilloscope or anything like that
One time at a by-the-pound in Austin, I stuck my arm into a bin full of junk and pulled out a 90's era oscilloscope. Like you'd pull out a piece of candy, which blew me away because it was much larger than candy. The next week I found a scope probe there, lol. Probably not even from the same thing, just coincidence.
Early this year I found a Showa era (1970s) fireman's hanten jacket in the bins, exactly like pic related. If I didn't want it myself, it could go for a few hundred bucks easily. It's a little tight on me, but there aren't many 6'0" Japanese.
A couple weeks ago I found a nail polish drier with about 40 UV LEDs in it. I've already seen it light up some random piece of plastic, so it'll do black light stuff. It had a store tag for $20, idiot pricers.

Worst thing was when I found an S-100 computer with about 8 boards in Austin, cashiers were all "we can't sell computers because it might have someone's data on it", bullshit, which they also pulled on me when I tried to buy an *empty* PC case. I should have just taken the bare S-100 cards, they wouldn't have looked like a computer to the normie cashiers.

It also depends on what you're looking for when you're drinking from the by-the-pound firehose. I like to find cool parts or semi-cheap toys that can be hacked. I'm also planning to take the blue laser from a trashed Blu-Ray player and get it working. But once I found an 18K chain, some odd short length that must have been a little kid's necklace.
Mostly it's fun just to see what you can find. One of the craziest was a Soviet era banner with a bunch of cheap commie pins on it. It clearly had a bunch more pins but some normie probably took all the hammer and sickle ones.

>>1735593
>After years of just looking at old stuff you kinda get a feel of it.
"What the fuck is this thing" can be one of the most fun games ever.

>>1735994
>anime shelter
Please think of the homeless catgirls!

>> No.1740466

>>1734519
There are actually some great deals if you get good at tag swapping. Hell, even if you aren't good chances are the employee ringing you up won't care enough to do anything about it.

>> No.1740766

>>1734726
>some esoteric french rifle out as a carcano or something
go away ian

>> No.1741650

>>1735099
>A complete industrial SCBA not in the cabinet but behind it.
>various types of test equipment.
>A surveillance system
>High end cameras that I would have killed for before digital.
>Old shortwave tube radios.
>Bose wave radios
>A $400 restaurant waffle maker.
>That's what I can remember.if it's in the case bend over to buy it.

I gotta start going to your Goodwill store, the one by me has nothing but junk.

>> No.1742009
File: 1.13 MB, 3120x4160, butt1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bizarre things you find at goodwill

>> No.1742010
File: 1.18 MB, 3120x4160, butt2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1742009

>> No.1742011

>>1742009
>>1742010
can you explain to me why you would use this? idk anything about hunting so im curious desu

>> No.1742012

>>1742011
I'm glad you asked, here's a video https://youtu.be/FoZZbQqW7Z0

>> No.1742013

>>1742012
oh god jesus christ no

>> No.1742026

>>1735610
I went to an estate sale ones and the deceased was a collector. He had a done of old radios in very nice condition. A bunch were being sold as "tested, not working". The sellers said they had tested them and they lit up but had no sound. As the guy had a ton of tools and parts, the radios were all in a big display rack, and had obviously been cosmetically restored I thought that sounded weird. I bought all the broken ones (almost a dozen for about a hundred bucks) and took them home. They were all vacuum tube radios and worked just fine. The morons selling them didn't know you needed to wait a minute for the tubes to warm up before sound would come out.

>> No.1742063

>>1735511
Do it man. I'm in. Sick af so it'll be a day or two before i get pics

>> No.1742067

>>1735578
For 10 grand I'll go shank the turtle myself.

*Get the dremel!

>> No.1742084

>>1739431
>using the word normies...

I didn't know summer happened in Christmas

>> No.1742085

>>1739848
All that useless glass? A lot of it is borosilicate. The same shit glass blowers use. Get grannies old hand me down pyrex cake pan and make a pipe! Kek.

Can be used in crucible crafting but i wouldnt

>> No.1742086

>>1734635
>he keeps score like this
You are the reason theres no good finds for anyone else.

>> No.1742088

Do y'all ever see old fermenting crocks while thrifting?

>> No.1742127
File: 49 KB, 500x375, d20181ba656f62d6a3748f42283547f6[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1742085
Pyrex/Fireking-Anchor Hawking/Glasbake stuff is collectible. The white stuff with patterns sells for good money if in decent shape. The clear stuff is just as useful now as it was then, as long as it is not chipped, it will sell pretty fast. Even old Corningware sells. The only stuff I ever see that sticks around in my area is off-brand stuff. You can never really tell what they are made of so it is not worth buying. God forbid actual laboratory glass ends up in a thrift store. I'm in a college town so it does sometimes happen. I saw two people get in a fight over a batch of 250 ml flasks that were marked 99 cents.

>> No.1742138

>>1742086
I wish.

>> No.1742232

>>1742127
Pyrex has lead in the paint. That includes the outside patterns. It comes off in microscopic particles and gets into the food. Corning can deny it all they want, but results are pretty fucked - grab a lead test kit if you doubt it. I'd guess they haven't gotten any real legal action against them because they have some of the the most cutting edge glass tech and are partnered with so many industries (including military).

The more recent pyrex is fine if not painted, I've no idea if the recent say, measuring cup paint tests positive. Antique glass and stoneware is really fucked in general and should only be used as decoration in an enclosed case so you don't have to dust it. All standard glassware has similar issues.

Corningware is fine though, that shit is a wonder material, completely different and ironically part of why Corning is untouchable. Visions is also a separate (safe) material as long as it's not the teflon-coated ones, but can randomly explode if dropped just right, so be sure to package it well if you plan on selling it. It tends to end up in thrift stores still dirty because people get rid of it after they learn that food tends to stick to it fairly easily if you aren't careful and is a massive pain in the ass to clean off once it does.

>> No.1742240

>>1735593
>Pick a subject/items you like and become a self taught expert on. Whatever it is, Cloths, tableware, pots/pans, corning glass, Tupperware, electronics etc.

This is the best advice. Not just for reselling, but for getting your own items and being someone your friends and family can turn to for info on specific topics.

It's even better if you have esoteric tastes and can thus snag items that no one else wants because it's from an unknown, odd or presently-shit manufacturer.

Also, pay attention to weird, unexplainable feelings you get in these places. If you get a sense of "This is not for me", or "I shouldn't take this", put it back. If you feel drawn to look at some area you don't normally care about like a pile of bags or the picture frames, have a look. It always pays off in the long run. Sometimes someone else leaves something that you know a lot about because they got the feeling for it. Sometimes you find something in a weird shit pile, sometimes you burn just enough time looking through it while standing in just the right spot for the employees to wheel out something you'd been waiting for, or overhear some conversation from that spot that you otherwise wouldn't have.

There are all sorts of people that go to these places, and not all of them are poor. Shopping for used stuff is as much an art as it simple economics, and is as much becoming a caretaker of certain things as it is owning them.

>> No.1742696
File: 106 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WUT WUT WUT WUT?
WUT WUT WUT WUT?
WUT WUT WUT WUT?
WUT WUT WUT WUT?

>> No.1742766

>>1742696
https://youtu.be/QK8mJJJvaes

>> No.1742796

>>1742009
> butt out

Can you mail a bunch of packages to prisoners anonymously and they will get them?

>> No.1743501

>>1734589
This.

My. Oh heat gripe about goodwill is when I see them selling $4900 amps. They are the biggest piece of shit not for profit ever. Now they just eBay / sell online I feel like they have broken some code. The deal was I give them my old shit, and can buy other people’s old shit. Now I give them my shit, and they take everything valuable and sell it on eBay. Fuck that.

Also online bidding is fun but it’s so much goddamn time. And sitting around waiting to bid burns hours and hours.

I love doing it and I guess I make money but it’s nickel and dime stuff - it’s better than gambling at a casino I guess. I show profit but it’s just not a good way to spend money anymore and there is so much shit to research. So many goddamn tiny auction houses. What I really need is a good network of shippers.

>> No.1743503

I need a Craigslist reposter nothing fancy I’m just tired of eeentwring crap every month. Someone help me out here. I’m dying delisting 100 fucking random pieces of shit every month.

>> No.1743504

>>1734749
>>1734755

Just give up, he has a stupid magazine loaded to full with stupid replies. Anything you say will be reflected stupidly or deflected stupidly. If you manage to penetrate his stupid defense you'll only find yourself mired in the quantum inner-stupid.

>> No.1743507

>>1739362
I'll give you 2 dollars for that locker.

>> No.1743575
File: 46 KB, 500x383, just when.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1743504

>> No.1743607

>>1743503
just repost 3 every day
PROBLEM SOLVED

>> No.1744784

>>1734605
Those remote controls worked by creating ultrasonic sounds that the TV picked up. It's why some (older) people call remotes "the clicker"

>> No.1744797

>>1734964
Alternatively, I worked at a pawn shop when I was younger, they used CORNFLAKE with X being a zero. This was marked on the tags for what we had into it so you know how low to offer. so CXXX is $10,00 OFXX $25.00. All of the pawn shops in our area use this.

>> No.1744823

>>1735520
Live in a small town on the east coast. Yard sales are a fucking gold mine. Spring of 2019 I got a fireproof gunsafe (took 5 guys to load it in to my truck) and a 4 person canoe with paddles both for $50

>> No.1745240
File: 194 KB, 415x450, radical.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734496
>How to get good deals

Be into niche things and shop for yourself primarily. My girlfriend used to flip shoes and purses, which can work if you're in a high-movement/turnover area like a military town, but most of the money in thrifting is basically gone.

That said, I've found a lot of rare books I personally really enjoy owning, despite them being of little value due to low demand. I've also started getting into photography through keeping my eye on the camera section, and found a few really nice Polaroids (and a 110 japanese camera I'm excited to try out). I picked up the mountain dulcimer because I found one in a thrift shop and nobody really knew what it was. The deals are still out there, they're just harder to spot unless you can think like a manic pixie dream girl.

>> No.1745242

>>1734523
The online Goodwill auction site is janky as fuck, but if you monitor for specific interests some good shit blows through there sometimes, particularly niche musical equipment.

>> No.1745248

>>1735593
Holy shit I'm jealous of that SX-70 on the right, that could easily be a $350 camera in the right shape. That's my thrifting holy grail currently, been looking for one cheap for ages.

>> No.1745255

>>1745248
Wow it's in nice shape. I know our family's camera from the day is in the stuff somewhere, but I don't know where. I also found one ~20 years ago, but that brown leather was cracked a lot. So I'll bet that's a problem with them and you have to get lucky to find a nice one.
Not sure what I'd do without new film for it (I know someone does make it again) but they were just so cool, especially after the old '60s ones from when I was a little kid (early genx) where you had to clip the film into the camera lid and use a little timer. It's just an amazing device from the 1970s.
The crazy thing I found in the attic last year after my mom passed was a projector and some other bits for that Polaroid movie film system.

>> No.1745256

>>1745255
Polaroid Originals sells them refurbished, along with the film. It's pricy, but the reason that SX-70 is so special is it's SLR, so you see exactly what you're taking a picture of through the lens, no viewfinder offset. Really unusual for instant film, and it allows you to better filter your shots and do precision shooting. The silver/brown is also hands down the best looking of them imo.

But yeah, there's a lot of small parts that can shift and wear down, the leather is actually not that big a deal (my cousin has one worn to death but it still takes good pictures). The cosmetics are what put it in the $350 range but a beat up one even in bad operating shape I wouldn't expect less than $60-70 for.

>> No.1745831
File: 72 KB, 490x427, what in tardation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1735578
Every other mexican restaurant has a real turtle shell on the wall and abalone shells on every table to put your cigarettes out.

>> No.1745885

>>1745831
Not a sea turtle shell lmao, there are a lot of different kinds of turtles but it's rare you see shells that big because it takes most turtles that get that big a decade or more

>> No.1746146

>>1745885
it takes 80-100 years for a sea turtle to get that big. according to a biologist that looked at the shell.

>> No.1746164
File: 1.11 MB, 1924x2518, sony tc2002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Picked this Sony TC 200 up the other day, $20.
works great. Bearings sounds a little rough, Ill have to open it up grease everything. I was surprised to find out it has a vacuum tube. Sounds really good for a portable reel to reel

>>1745255
>>1745256
>>1745248
Takes great photos, I buy the Polaroid Original film and use the camera regularly.

>> No.1746500

>>1746164
I've got the SX-70 one step (3 actually), but it's got nothing on yours besides generic 'retro' aesthetics, has a more popular look but I can't even tell if any of them function without blowing a $20 pack of film. Only real perk is they're dirt cheap...

>> No.1746720

>>1746500
You might find a Polaroid camera with old film in it one day! I've found a few broken cameras with packs of vintage film inside that still worked. I steal the film and put the camera back most of the time. I also keep some empty packs film to test cameras too, if the flash works and it sounds like its cycling a photo, its fine.

>> No.1746754

>>1735994
>local anime shelter
Tell me more, anon

>> No.1746939

>>1745242
This. lots of good stuff goes through here. shipping is also really weird. Each store is different - so like, one store can ship me a 60 lb amp for $20. The next auction, I pay $20 in shipping for 3 records.

Protip: Filter by your local goodwill, select "pick up only". Vintage keyboards, a fucking hot air balloon, $500 RC vehicle, all kinds of crap.

Protip2: Seattle are complete cunts about 3rd party pick up. They will literally not release to anyone who isn't you. So when you want to bid on something and have a service/friend pick up and ship - get it arranged before hand, then create the bidding account in their name.

Protip3: Many goodwills only list items for 3 days.

Protip4: What auctionsniper works for goodwill?

Protip5: Someone tell me what fucking CL relister I can use that is near free? I don't need anything fancy, I'm just tired or reentering all my goddamn auctions every 45 days.

>> No.1747159
File: 1.01 MB, 3056x2686, oven.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

snagged this, this morning for $13. it's a sells for about $150. this one looks like it was only used a couple of times.

>> No.1747411
File: 2.39 MB, 2560x1191, cheap amp collection.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734635
> nothing over $30
> all working

>> No.1747417
File: 2.37 MB, 1440x1938, 20170607_222254.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1747411
And every once and a while, it really pays off.
> monster fucking jbl horns for $20

>> No.1747455

>>1735521
people regularly make 50k + doing this lol

>> No.1747461

>>1734496
Correct and this is the last wave of those boomers so score the good shit. BTW Toyota make some impressive machines.

>> No.1747470

>>1747455
No

>> No.1747488

>>1742085
This isn't actually true, the pyrex used to make dishes isn't the same as the glassblowing glass even though they have the same name. The dishes glass lack flux and is super stiff, works fine then its stamped out by machines with hydraulic presses and inflated with compressed air, but not if you are trying to do it by hand.

t. glassblower

>> No.1747669

>>1747455
>>1747470
I find it hard to believe. Maybe at one point you could. I'd love to be wrong.

>> No.1747950

>>1747669
maybe years ago. the internet ruins everything. honestly, the best place to find things these days are people not selling. if you see something cool in someones workshop or see and old barn from the road, just stop and ask if they have anything they want to sell. you're going to get plenty of "i know what i gots" types but we used to sell tons of old country shit sitting around our farm to guys that would drive up and ask.

>> No.1748170

>>1747950
>old barn from the road
there's none of that in my state.

>> No.1750130

>>1734498
>2 Mcintosh tube amps
Would a thrift store even put those out? In my area, those would be in the case up front and they'd be asking restored eBay pricing for them with a "buy at your own risk no returns" note placed on them.

>> No.1750143 [DELETED] 

>>1750130
from what I remember they were marked with prices of around $50 each. In city there are about 50 goodwills and there is no rhyme or reason to pricing. some stores use ebay wishful thinking prices, some stores will slap $5 on an item worth hundreds. it seems that if a guy is doing the pricing shit expensive, if it's a chick it goes for pennies.

as for the front display that's a joke, sometimes they have valuable stuff up there and sometimes it's a dollar store "cannon" camera that is obviously not an SLR. that's why you have to go to stores a lot to find things.

>> No.1750146

>>1750130
from what I remember they were marked with prices of around $50 each. In this city there are about 50 goodwills and there is no rhyme or reason to pricing. some stores use ebay wishful thinking prices, some stores will slap $5 on an item worth hundreds. it seems that if a guy is doing the pricing shit will be expensive, if it's a chick it goes for pennies.

as for the front display that's a joke, sometimes they have valuable stuff up there and sometimes it's a dollar store "cannon" camera that is obviously not an SLR. that's why you have to go to stores a lot to find things.

>> No.1750150

>>1735090
It's generally shit, but sometimes you'll find something cool. Recently there was some sort of Cartier bracelet or something like that for $200, which was no returns since they didn't know if it was real or not. It looked really good, but there are also a ton of high end fakes floating around. There was also a pair of Allen Edmonds dress shoes that were worn maybe once or twice in the box for $60. Never had any luck with test equipment and shit like that at these stores, always had better luck at swap meets.

>> No.1750151

>>1750150
>better luck at swap meets
hamfests are a good place for test equipment, at least older analog stuff

>> No.1750152

>>1750150
>Never had any luck with test equipment and shit like that at these stores, always had better luck at swap meets.
and it's the opposite where I live swap meets are now mexican dollar store meets and I find test equipment all the time at goodwills.

>> No.1750154

>>1750152
>and it's the opposite where I live swap meets are now mexican dollar store meets and I find test equipment all the time at goodwills.
It depends on the ones that I go to. The ones that happen every weekend during the summer and have indoor spaces for the winter slowly became ghetto shopping malls where sellers either sell new household goods and cosmetics or they are selling the typical stuff but they've been there for so long that their setup is like a hoarder's house where everything is for sale at "I know what I got pricing". The ones that have the best deals here are outdoor only and happen either once a month or are either annual/bi-annual.

>> No.1750483

>>1746164
Great rtr, anon. I have one too...used it for years to record my band live. It's getting a little tough to get virgin tape anymore...

>> No.1751644
File: 2.85 MB, 4160x3120, Industrial sewing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1734496
Saw this at a goodwill for $200 apparently they cost about $1200 new.

>> No.1751654

>>1751644
are they opening up clothing sweat shops in your area anon?

>> No.1751658

surprised No one mentioned estate sales yet. I go to

https://www.estatesales.net/

Look through all the pictures and go to anything that looks interesting. I'm in north NJ so the amount of crap that shows up every week is astounding. My shop is filled with old Delta tools that some grandpa had and the kids didn't want.

>> No.1751720

>>1751644
Owo wheres this

>> No.1751729

>>1751658
I think someone mentioned it earlier? It's what I use for quick browsing to make sure I don't miss something amazing. my secret weapon? ctbids.com the absolutes biggest piece of shit website ever. it's so hard to navigate, it's like it punishes you for using it. but its good for me because sometimes I can find something good local that other people haven't mobbed. I'm in phoenix, and the estate sale scene can be pretty intense - old people lining up at 4 am as far as the eye can see...

>> No.1751881

>>1751720
Scottsdale, AZ

>> No.1751893

>>1734497
>thrift store
>shopping cart.
fucking americans.

>> No.1751900
File: 84 KB, 500x714, hysterical.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1751893
here we see the ignorant eaurotrash incel in his native environment. shitposting on 4chan. he's run out of tendies and hp sauce and is taking out his impotent rage on an unsuspecting thread. sad

>> No.1751924

>>1751644
Looks like a Savers.

>> No.1751966

>>1751924
it's a goodwill savers are crap.

>> No.1751969

>>1751881
Dang.

>> No.1752192

In my experience your best bet is to look for one in the wealthier parts of town. I once got a samsonite computer bag for $5 at one

>> No.1752207

>>1734943
Workers wont care. Walmart has the same policy but they hardly go by it unless your a peon. Had a co-manager that knew when the Nintendo Classics were coming in and bought 3 of them. She and two of her friends bought them. A few weeks later she told me she bought one for herself and sold the other two. When working in electronics some of the workers in there would hide shit that went on clearance and at the end of their shift or on break would take the item and buy it.

>> No.1752249

>>1752207
they do here, they get fired if they break the rules.

>> No.1752272

>>1734496
Bearing in mind that locations vary a lot by
1) How much and what donors are willing to give
2) The local business practices of the stores and chains
3) The local interest level in thrifting in general.

The only sure way to get the best bargains is to thrift often preferably at times when store shopper activity is lowest and stocking is going on.

I've found all kinds of things that I could either flip or wanted to collect outright. In my last trip I found a Cammenga 3H lensatic compass (USGI) for $1 and a North Face rain jacket with tags for $5. I've found all kinds of military surplus gear (NWT Gore-Tex parkas and pants, Navy peacoats, NOS Korean War era wool uniforms, boots etc); unopened sets of KEM cellulose playing cards, a Catalin backgammon set from the 30's in excellent condition among other things. I didn't pay more than $5 for any one item except for a pair of military boots.

The stores around here only mark up certain things and items that get tagged for more than $10 are generally large like pianos, washers, dryers etc, video game consoles, cameras and stuff with designer labels no matter how cheaply made. A cheap worn Micheal Koors hand bag maybe in the glass case for $30 but an all leather European crafted satchel still tagged with the paper inside might end up on the handbag rack for the standard handbag price of $4.49. They have no eye for the value of the stuff they haul in unless it's a brand name. They can't look up everything on eBay because eBay doesn't have everything at any one point in time, they don't know how to look it up properly or they flatout don't have the time.

>> No.1752644

>>1752249
Sure they do

>> No.1754504
File: 123 KB, 600x400, Goodwill_insert_c_Washington_Blade_by_Joey_DiGuglielmo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.1755722

>>1751644
If it does leather buy that mutherfucker, paint it, sell for $500

>> No.1755723

>>1747159
Fuckin perfect for powder coat rig bro

>> No.1755724

>>1746939
Someone pls tag me of the cl answer gets figured out.

>> No.1755727

>>1744823
Fuck!

>> No.1755728

>>1744784
I see. Well, its an external SSD now but i kept all the original parts in a labeled box to never be seen again. Lol.

>> No.1755732

>>1743501
>shippers.

Check out longhaul bandit family page on fb.

I saw a guy who made a royally fucked blind backing get posted onto teisted truckers. His profile kinda blew up and he took full advantage of it. Made his own fb group for truckers to hang out and bring back some semblance of comradery. He started his own trucking company and slings swag. They should have their own leader board by now. Not sure the rules on solicitation but you could easily have someone drop something off at a truckstop and pay a driver 50 cents a mile to drop it off on the way through at another.

We used to swap shit all of the time on there. I bought a moped from california while i was in ny and i picked up some car audio shit for a guy at a TA truck stop in New Hampshire. We rode arounf the mid us until another guy said he was coming from Dallas to Fargo. I met up with him in dallas, the other guy met in fargo, and then i caught up with the Dallas guy over in Florida.

The only problem besides logistics is if some fucking dickweed cancels the load or weather fucks up the trip. Then you are kind of stuck with bullshit in your cab or stuck waiting forever.

But simple shit like a moped or expensive bicycle that can be strapped to to semi out of the way van be had for a case of beer

>> No.1755735

>>1742796
Maybe not anonymously. And unless it os a letter from an attorney they will 100% go through it all and test it. I caught meth being soaked into coloring book pages marked "for daddy" with crayon scribbles.

>> No.1755737

>>1734496
I have made $1,000 profit in 4 months with little time invested.

Buy shitty broken down little 6-12v power wheels type toys.

Put a new motor and controller in it. 18v SLA battery and charger. Well for $120 plus profit after getting a vid of some kid drifting on it.

Tbh its started to get out of hand. I tell everyone 20 bucks off if they bring a decent power wheels thst looks to be in good shape and 10 bucks for almost any one in any condition.

Fucking yard full of shit i can't even drive. Kek